It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2002, 02:51 PM   #1

barto31 HB User
Post Update brother Florida, why would he hit someone he loves?

Hi, Just got off the phone with my sister in law. Had a bad day, he is down to 89 pounds, woke up this morning at 3:30 AM starting flinging his hands/arms into the air, she and her sister tried to calm him down talking ect didn't work, he curled up his hand made a fist and hit my sister in law in the jaw. I am sure he did not know what he was doing as he is so medicated - but what would make someone who is so nearly at death, have the ability to ball up a fist and hit someone. Is this a sign of being "very afraid" to die. She called the Hospice worker and she was over their within a 1/2 hour, she calmed him down and gave him an extra dose of morphine. She said to up the dosage and that she felt it would be this week-end that he would pass over. Around 5:00 AM he went to into his semi-coma and now it is 6:00 PM and he is still out. He can't swallow any longer so she has to take a syringe with the morphine and deposit it into the side of his mouth and tilt his head back. The nurse said that it would get into his system. My sister in law can't even stroke his throat as the tumor is so big (almost cantalope size) and he has no more reflexes in the throat area. Well, thanks for listening, just thanks. For the people that have read all the messages and who did/did not reply, I just wanted to say thank you so much. Sometimes we are not looking for replies (when we get them they are a godsend) when we don't, I look at this as a diary to just express myself with people who are going through the same things who understand and except....no more....no less. Thank you all and luck to all and keep the faith. Judie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2002, 06:54 PM   #2

Mmcginty HB User
Pain and medication often cloud people's minds. You and your family are in my thoughts and prays. I realize this must be a difficult time, I hope the hospice in Florida is as caring and helpful as the ones' here in NC

Michelle

Old 08-10-2002, 06:37 PM   #3

jerriel HB User
People do strange things when they are dying my poor mom had not gotten out of bed for 2 months and couldn't even turn over and one morning I found her sitting on the floor smoking a cigarette so dear don't try to find answers to some of the things that happens near the end of life another thing for years mymom couldn't see a wink without her glasses and before she died she could read a newspaper across the room with out her glasses.
God Bless
Jerri

Closed Thread