It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2002, 09:24 AM   #1

jovitz HB User
Question bone pain

Anyone have thoughts or opinions on quadramet or metastron for metastatic bone pain? The thought of opioids freaks me out

Old 10-14-2002, 07:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
I've never hear of those two medications, so can't help you there, but I wanted to ask why you're so reluctant to take opiods for bone mets? Yes, you can become dependent on opiods, but that's not quite the same thing as addiction...

Dependency is described as a situation where you are taking a medication that you cannot suddenly stop without experiencing withdrawal symptoms. So, if you need to stop that med for any reason, you must taper off of it over a period of time.

Addiction is described as a feeling of wanting the "high" experienced (or numbness, or whatever) when taking a substance; wanting that feeling more often, increasing the dose and frequency in order to get that feeling, etc.

Many studies on pain management in the past 8-10 years have showed that people who take narcotic medications for pain DO NOT become addicted (although yes, they do become dependent). If taking an opiod will keep you free of pain, allow you to function more normally and allow you to experience a better quality of life, why not try it?

Unless there's another reason you're reluctant?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2002, 05:42 AM   #3

jovitz HB User
Unhappy

Thanks for responding. The reluctance is not about addiction but about the fear of being so stoned from the narcotics that is there any quality of life or just sitting (albeit painfree) waiting to die? The Quadramet and Metastron are radiopharmaceuticals that attach directly to the bone mets. I just can't tell if one is better than the other. My doc sez they're both the same.

Old 10-15-2002, 10:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Jovitz -
I'm sorry you're going through this. Wish I knew more about those meds, but do not know anyone who's been on them.

I can tell you that a friend of mine takes oxycontin and functions quite well on it. Also, some people with chronic pain use duragesic patches. I don't, however, know how well either of these work for the pain from bone mets.

Are you on any treatment for the cancer?

Ruth

Old 10-20-2002, 08:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
Using a med/sci search engine [scirus] was able to locate only 44 references on this strontium therapy. Appears that this is still a relatively new treatment as it doesn't have very much information from the patient's perspective.

Here's all that the Dana Farber center has on it:

[url="http://www.dana-farber.org/pat/adult/clinical/radiology/faqs.asp#strontium"]http://www.dana-farber.org/pat/adult/clinical/radiology/faqs.asp#strontium[/url]

Something else that you may want to read up on is hyperbaric treatment - as an adjuvant therapy. The rationale for this is that since bone tissue is very difficult to treat with meds, hyperbaric [1.5 to 2.5 atmospheres pressure] helps improve infiltration/ penetration of the med to the appropriate site. Hyperbaric was originally used for treating 'the bends', and has since been studied for treatment of severe burns, deep bone pain, avascular necrosis and other bone and deep tissue diseases.

Here's some background on hyperbaric which is currently in NIH clinical trials for another condition:
[url="http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct/gui/show/NCT00026975;jsessionid=D67EF483B14CEFE95 7AB0D7877878BAC?order=1"]http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct/gui/show/NCT00026975;jsessionid=D67EF483B14CEFE95 7AB0D7877878BAC?order=1[/url]

Another suggestion is OPG. An Internet acquaintance with severe transplant complications including excruciating deep bone pain and advanced osteoporosis used OPG with some good results. No idea whether the underlying biochem problem is the same in your case, however ... OPG [osteoprotegerin] and OPGL [osteoprotegerin ligand] are two recently discovered compounds involved in the mechanism by which osteoblasts and stromal cells regulate osteoclastic differentiation and function and mediate the effects exerted by other hormones and cytokines. Basically, once bone metabolism is regulated and bone tissue rebuilt, pain is no longer a problem.

Closed Thread