It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2002, 11:45 AM   #1

Nanabananna HB User
Post Gifts for cancer patient

Hello everyone,

We have a coworker that means a great deal to all of us here at work, and unfortunately he has just found out that he has kidney and possibly lung cancer.
He has started chemo this week, and we are planning to send a basket of "good wishes " to his house on a weekly basis..my question is, other than sending cards, what would be some nice things to put in the basket for him ?..I know magazines and books are always nice, but wondering if there are any other things that he would like..I know that his appetite probably won't be good with going through the chemo, so I don't think that candy and cookies are right for now..any suggestions ?
Any ideas would be most appreciated.
Thank you, Nana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2002, 07:46 PM   #2

tsno HB User
pictures! my frinds have all been giving me great photos of us or some fun ones of them it really cheers me up. take a camera into work since he can't be at the office i assume and take some funny pics.it is a good thing you are doing just knowing your friends are there helps. God Bless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2002, 10:12 PM   #3
Inactive

Hezza HB User
my mom has primary bowel and secondary liver cancer and has recently begun chemotherapy treatments. it's absolutely the worst feeling thinking about her attached to that pump she carries around and just thinking about it all makes me wanna break down, but i think i can help with your question.
since my mom is at the hospital one day out of 10, for 7 hours straight, she has purchased a canvas bag in which to carry some goodies. she has a crossword puzzle book, a novel, a change purse (with change for coffee and the vending machines, heehee) and stuff of that sort. just things to keep her occupied when having the tubes put back into her chest.
not sure if your friend is at the hospital like that as well, but if he is, try to find him things that will keep him occupied. try to be silly with it too, it'll brighten his day.
hope this helps.

Old 10-26-2002, 03:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
Call your friend up and ask him what he most feels like eating or doing. The answers may surprise you. Several times we ended up getting take-out steak when our child was undergoing rounds of chemo.

Food cravings can shift tremendously during this stage. The worst nausea tends to occur about a day or two after the chemo, and not the day of.

Old 10-28-2002, 11:47 AM   #5

Nanabananna HB User
Thank you so much to all of you that responded..great ideas..someone else mentioned the pictures to me over the weekend and I am going to definetly do that for him.

Thank you again, blessings to all fo you.

Closed Thread