It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2002, 01:54 AM   #1

tweetbirdy HB User
Arrow What can I do for my friend and myself?

I just recently found out a few weeks ago that my best friend , whom I grew up with has a rare form of cancer.
It has totally thrown me off ,though I know she is much more affected by it than I am.

We are both in our early 20's and I keep asking myself how something like this could happen. Everything else in my life just stopped seeming important which, I thought was a normal reaction at first but now, I am starting to feel a little worried about it, because I am not doing so well at school anymore.

Also , what can I do for her? The chemotherepy and radiation are making her really weak and I can't visit or talk to her on the phone, does anybody know what I can do to make things better? What I can do for her and how can I help her through this? I just feel so helpless right now.

Old 10-16-2002, 05:49 PM   #2
Inactive

marsv63 HB User
Wink

What she needs now is to know you are there for her. Make a card for her and in it write things like do you remember when we ( something you did the was funny or not so nice ) Let her know you love her and care. When I went through my cancer It ment the world to me to get a card or call or a short note anything just to know that she is not alone in this.. Just let her know you are there, once a week just drop a note and never let a week go by without letting her know you love her.. Just my thoughts.. Also remember her in prayer... God Bless, Mars

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2002, 09:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
One of the nicest things our child had in hospital was a poster made by her friends. There were some get well messages and quite a few 'goofy' photos. A friendly face during a crisis is always welcomed.

Old 10-28-2002, 11:00 PM   #4

tweetbirdy HB User
Hey, thanks for all the advice, yes it's hard to figure out what to do, because theres not much I can do and I wish there was something that I could do.

I have been letting her know that I'm there for her so hopefully that will make things better. Also she is done with her chemotherepy and radiation treatments now , so that is really great. Thanks for all the support , I really need it too.

I wish there were a help place for family friends of cancer patients- does any body know of things like this?

Old 10-30-2002, 08:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
There is an organization called "The Wellness Community" that runs support groups both for cancer patients and for their family/friends/caregivers. I'm not sure if there's one in your area, but since it was started in California, there may indeed be one nearby. I would suggest you call directory assistance and check in all the area codes near you.

Closed Thread