It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2002, 02:31 PM   #1

sampsoki HB User
Question Questions???Thyroid biopsy tomarrow!

Hello,
I went to the doctor, they examined me, did an ultrasound and sure enough, I have a one inch tumor in the right lower lobe of my thyroid.
I am having a biopsy tomarrow. i am a little nervous...should I have a painkiller? How many times will they insert a needle?
I know that the likely hood of this being cancer is low, but...what could they possibly do? Leave it in there? Radiate it?? My uncle is currently going through this & they are radiating his tumor which is half the size of mine. His was not cancer.
Any suggestions or advice from people with past experiences???
Thanks,
/Kim

Old 11-21-2002, 06:51 AM   #2
Inactive

marsv63 HB User
Have you been on the Thyroid Board yet ? It is wonderful and they can answer all you Question They have a wonderful Information Archive here is the link to that [url="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/000005.html"]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/000005.html[/url]
And here is the link to the Thyroid Board.
[url="http://www.healthboards.com/cgi/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=11 8"]http://www.healthboards.com/cgi/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=11 8[/url]
I had Papillary cancer of the Thyroid and had mine removed May of this year. Hope this helps, marcia

[This message has been edited by marsv63 (edited 11-21-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2003, 01:25 PM   #3

Dawnsmist HB User
Talking

Hi, I had a goiter which had been growing for 20 years. It got to be the size of a tennis ball. I had a needle biopsy done. One stick, without a pain killer drug. The mass was mostly fluid. The biopsy test was benign. But because the goiter was getting big and pressing on my vocal cords and causing trouble with swallowing I had a thyroidectomy. The whole goiter and thyroid was removed. Pathology sliced the removed tissue and goiter and found a 1 cm cancerous growth. The biopsy did NOT reveal the cancer. The surgeon said the cancerous area was encapsulated and therefore the easiest to cure by removing the whole thing. I did not need chemotherapy. Apparently this type of cancer did not spread but could have if I had not had the surgery at that time. I was lucky. My goiter/thyroid was too large to kill with radioactive material. I am happy I had the whole mess removed. I am on synthroid now for the rest of my life. (A small inexpensive thyroid hormone pill.) Don't let any abnormal growth go unchecked. Good luck and good health. Dawnsmist

Closed Thread