It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2003, 08:30 PM   #1

AMwatch24 HB User
Question growing lump in my neck, additional one in past 8 hours

Hi, I just came across this websight and for the lack of other information maybe someone here can help me. I have been feeling faint recently, and very much so last night after I worked out. This morning I woke up to a painful swelling in the SCM region (lymph node I assume). It is the size of a small grape, but growing. Over the past couple of hours I have now noticed an additional lump about 2" below it closer to my trap. I also have had in past itchy skin, mainly my shoulder region or mid arm at the fold? I have also had night sweats, thinking it was prementrual time, but it wasnt? Can anyone help?
J.

Old 01-17-2003, 08:47 PM   #2

SnowFilledDreams HB User
See a doctor. Best advice I can give.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2003, 06:05 AM   #3

AMwatch24 HB User
Question

Well, by Wednesday both lumps were small grape size, and no longer hurt. They were very hard, both on the same side of neck. I did go to the doctor, and shamfully enough I do not have insurance, so I immediately became less important. Bloodwork is the only test that was performed. I was given antibiotics to "try" and "see" if they work on the lymphs. I have had no fever (now or in past that I remember), I have had major headaches for over 2 years, night sweats (occasionally) for about the same. I did take all the medicine as suggested, no changes took place. I started feeling unbelievably tired and took my temperature (normal for me is 98.6-99). MY temp read 96.2. I have taken my temp daily (about 5 times a day) and it hasnt been over 97.4; been as low as 95.9. It is pretty consistant between 96.4-97.2. My bloodwork came back as "normal"...i told doctor about my decreased body temp..he had no idea; telling me my TSH was normal?? Any ideas?? Anyone??Thank you J.

Old 01-18-2003, 10:51 AM   #4

SnowFilledDreams HB User
Find a new doctor.
If you have unexplainable lumps you should find a doctor who is willing to figure out what they are.
Be firm in stating that you want to find out what this is, that it is NOT normal for lumps to just appear.
The temp thing I don't think is related. I've had a low temp, under the "norm 98.6" for days on end and it didn't mean anything.

I think the main thing right now is find a new doctor. I see a doctor for something I am dealing with and I originally had a different doctor who just after the 1st visit I knew I was not comfortable with him so I found someone else (in the same clinic no less) and am much happier and get more reassurance when I go in.
Some doctors just don't have good bedside manner and if they don't know what it is they would rather just brush you off.
Find someone you are comfortable with and be persistant on finding out what it is that is wrong. It is YOUR health, so do anything necessary to keep yourself in good health.
Doctors don't know everything but 9 times out of 10, think they do, so you have to speak up and not let the issue go.

Good luck !

Old 01-18-2003, 10:56 AM   #5

SnowFilledDreams HB User
I forgot to add, if you have been having major headaches for 2 years then maybe try to get in to see a doctor who can do a cat scan or mri ? (not sure if those are the scans for the head or not)
Schedule a complete workup, or state it in terms of annual exam, that way they will go over anything and everything.
Again I wish you luck, keep posting to state your progress.

Closed Thread