It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2003, 09:42 PM   #1

Ken B HB User
Post Palatable foods

I have a friend with cancer. She is currently undergoing both radiation and chemo therapies. Even though she is taking appetite enhancing drugs, she still has no appetite and continues to lose weight. Can anyone suggest some foods that I could recommend or send that others have found pallatable under similar medical circumstances? Thank you in advance for any and all replies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2003, 03:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Here are a few things to try:

Macaroni and cheese (homemade, with the less sharp cheddar cheese)

Ensure...comes in several flavors

Ice Cream...it was one of the few things I could consistently eat while on chemo

If the patient can tolerate some ice cream, you may want to make a milk shake using some Ensure and some ice cream.

If he/she is not experiencing nausea, the lack of appetite may be due to depression. If that's the case, he/she may need to treat the depression as well as the cancer.

Good luck. It's very kind of you to be looking for help for your friend.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2003, 03:52 PM   #3

Ken B HB User
Thank You SamQKitty. I suspect you're right about the depression, and treatment for that would be beneficial I'm sure. I'll pass to her your wonderful and considerate suggestions.

Old 01-16-2003, 10:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
Something else to keep in mind is that each chemo med [plus all of the adjuvant meds] can alter taste perception in different and unpredictable ways. Even a favorite food can be unappetizing depending on where a person is in their therapy.

Let your friend's sense of smell be your guide as to what she might enjoy. And, bring her some of her old favorites including foods not typically considered convalescent fare.

Closed Thread