It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2003, 02:04 PM   #1

mjb54 HB User
Post Alternative treatments for cancer victims

My friends mother has now been told she has cancer in her bladder. She has fought cancer for years and been given all the chemo and radiation she can receive. Does anyone here know of any alternative treatment with vitamin D or something to that extent. We are thinking we have read they are using some vitamins as an alternative. Would appreciate any comments or replies you might have concerning this subject.

Old 01-30-2003, 03:59 PM   #2
(male)

BobE HB User
mjb54, I've been taking IP-6 since my surgery & radiation in early 1999. I'm hoping some others here will offer some suggestion for U. I've read mixed opinions about IP6. It's main selling point is to 'arrest' cancer gwth. It is alleged to have many other good benefits...

The reason I started taking it as a possible sleep aid (which I'd heard on an info-merical). I'd spent 37 days in the hospital. I also had 37 days of radiation after getting out of the hospital. Did not sleep well there or several months after coming home. Even a prescription from my dr didn't help. With in a week of taking it I was sleeping like a baby. Maybe it was just time for me to start sleeping normal, don't know. But since I was sleeping well and the drs had thought I'd never leave the hospital I decided to continue the IP6. The drs have finally stopped being surprised that I'm still alive and doing well.

Must tell U however that I'm an engineer & a skeptic so I would love to hear some thoughts about supplements. BobE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2003, 07:53 AM   #3
Inactive

traveller HB User
Regarding alternative treatments for cancer you could have a look at sites like [url="http://www.cancure.org/choiceoftherapy.htm"]http://www.cancure.org/choiceoftherapy.htm[/url]

About bladder cancer,maybe you are interested in the following info .A friend (female) of my mother had bladder cancer .She had surgery-chemo with no success.After that,her doctor proposed to remove the whole bladder -a kind of <whats the problem for a woman to urinate from the rectum > thing .
She refused and went to Germany where a doctor removed the bladder and replace it with one made from a small piece of her intestine . Good results ,five year survivor.

Old 02-01-2003, 09:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
Just checked the clinical trials site for alternative medicine in bladder cancer. Turns out that a new trial - not yet recruiting - is investigating the possibility that St. John's Wort may interfere with chemotherapy; that is, taking this supplement while on chemotherapy may stop the chemotherapy from destroying the cancer.

About 10 years ago the medical community was shaken when they discovered that beta-carotene [a Vitamin A precursor] supplementation increased the rate of growth of some lung cancers. So pls be very careful when considering mixing chemo [or radiation] therapy with ANY other meds, natural or otherwise.

Here's the link to the clinical trial:
[url="http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct/gui/show/NCT00041171;jsessionid=99E74E693042EB881 6C16CE1C8E7E8EE?order=2"]http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct/gui/show/NCT00041171;jsessionid=99E74E693042EB881 6C16CE1C8E7E8EE?order=2[/url]

The countries that have the most research and clinical experience using alternative therapies either alone, or in conjunction with Western chemo/radiation, are: Germany, Japan and India. Suggest you look up their research. Try using Scirus and/or Copernik2001; these are med/sci search engines that are especially useful in locating obscure med/sci journal articles.

Good luck,
Jay

Old 02-01-2003, 10:03 AM   #5

mjb54 HB User
Thanks for all your replies. The reason my friend was looking for alternatives is because her mom has had so much chemo and radiation over the years, that they can't give her anymore. She thought maybe there was something out there that might help. They believe the cancer is more than just in the bladder at this point and although tests would verify just where, unfortunately there is nothing they can do, so they figure keeping her comfortable is important. Another interesting fact, she has been fighting cancer for over 15 years and they told her back then she only had 6 months or so to live. Just goes to show that noone really knows when it comes to cancer. Once again, thanks for the replies.

Old 02-06-2003, 01:20 PM   #6

Liv0724 HB User
I work in a natural foods store, and Shark cartillage is used for arresting tumor growth. I am not sure how effective it is, but it can't hurt to try.

Old 02-07-2003, 12:58 PM   #7
(male)

BobE HB User

Liv0724, Does Ur natural food store have IP-6 and/or do U have an opinion about it? BobE

Closed Thread