It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2003, 03:47 PM   #1

pentek128 HB User
Post Chemo -- Can it be daily? Are there different types of chemo?

I am a complete novice so someone please help me, as we are confused at some of the things the radiologist said today.

Can chemo be given daily? If so, are its effects less severe?

How is chemo given...is it an injection or is it done in different ways?

Is it all the same type of drugs or are there different types with different effects?

Please help as dr. won't be back until Friday and I'm kicking myself for not asking.........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2003, 10:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Yes, there are many, many different kinds of chemotherapy. Some types are in pill form and some types have to be given intravenously. The type of chemo you're given also depends on the type of cancer you have.

Even with the same drug, there can be differing dosages and rates of delivery. For example, a specific chemo that's given intravenously may be given once a week, or once every three weeks.

It's also quite common to combine different chemotherapies, so that one may be given an intravenous treatment on day one, pills days 2 through 7, more chemo on day 8, etc.

One thing that's important to know is that not all chemotherapies cause nausea/vomiting, and for those that do there are now many effective anti-nausea medications. Some of the anti-nausea medications can be given intravenously right before the chemo is given, so that you never experience nausea.

Best thing to do is post back after you find out what you're going to be given (make sure you write it down when the doctor tells you...the names of the meds and how they will be administered), and then people who have had those specific types of chemo can tell you their experiences.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread