It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2003, 03:21 PM   #1

pentek128 HB User
Post Dehydration in chemo

My MIL finished up her first week of chemo, only to end up in the hospital with dehydration. She herself admits she doesn't feel like drinking, she doesn't feel like eating. She's not naseous, just doesn't feel like eating or drinking.

Our main concern is the drinking. Does anyone have any tips for helping us to get her to drink?

Do you have any experience with dehydration and can you tell me anything of what to expect, etc.??

Old 04-29-2003, 08:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
You said that your MIL isn't nauseous, but just doesn't feel like eating or drinking. Could she be depressed? Some people, when they find out they have cancer, go into serious depressions which, unfortunately, doesn't help them get better. If this is the case, she should discuss it with her doctors.

If not depresssion, then she must force herself to sip fluids...if she can't get a lot down at one time, she can keep water nearby and sip small amounts frequently. You may also want to look into nutritional supplements, such as Ensure, for her. If you get the supplements, they tend to taste better if they're ice cold.

Otherwise, if she keeps dehydrating, she will need to be hydrated intravenously. If this continues to occur, rather than her being hospitalized, you could try to see if your insurance would cover a visiting nurse, who could give her IV fluids when needed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2003, 05:36 PM   #3

pentek128 HB User
THANK YOU SO MUCH...you have given a lot of help!

Closed Thread