It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2003, 08:45 AM   #1
(female)

colleendol HB User
Question joint and muscle pain

My doctor told me joint and muscle pain can be a sign of a malignancy. I have no other symptoms. What is the chance of this being true? Any statistics?

------------------
Colleen

Old 05-17-2003, 11:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Colleen,
Joint and muscle pain can be a sign of so MANY things, that unless there were some other symptoms, cancer would be the last think I'd think of.

You would need tests to rule out, at the least, arthritis, both osteo and rhematoid; lupus; neuropathy; fibromyalgia; chronic fatigue syndrome; the list goes on and on!

Do you have any symptoms other than joint and muscle pain?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2003, 05:49 AM   #3
(female)

colleendol HB User
No, no other signs.

Old 05-20-2003, 05:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Colleen,
I'm curious as to how the subject of cancer came up with your doctor. Did you ask him/her if aches and pains could be a sign of cancer? Did he/she bring it up themselves?

If you are having consistently achey, painful symptoms, your doctor should order a complete blood count (cbc) to test for rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, thyroid, etc. If all tests are negative, then I would ask for a referral to a rheumatologist so you can be evaluated for fibromyalgia and other arthritic-like conditions. A general internist cannot usually do this type of an evaluation (that is, beyond the blood-work), as it is a specialty of rheumatology.

Good luck.

Old 05-21-2003, 05:18 AM   #5
(female)

colleendol HB User
He brought the subject up. I guess he was just telling me anything that could cause muscle/joint pain. He ordered all the bloodwork, including a test for malignancy. He doesnt think that I have to worry about it. But what do doctors know? He really worried me, though.

------------------
Colleen

Closed Thread