It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2003, 11:24 PM   #1

windchaser1 HB User
Post How could this be?

I had a terrible experience today.

I feel a tiny lump in the soft palate area of my mouth with my tongue and it has been there for almost a month already. So I went to see a oral surgeon today. The lump is so tiny that it almost cannot be seen. I can only barely see it in the mirror. As a matter of fact, the oral surgeon couldn't see the lump. He just had a rough idea of where the lump is based on what I told him. But he suggested to cut the lump out for a biopsy anyway. I agreed to that except I was worried whether he could cut at the right spot since he could not see where the lump is. He just told me it would be ok. The he performed the surgery.

When I came home and look into the mirror, I almost broke down. I saw the stitches are not even close to where the lump is. Now I have to pay a few hundred dollars and have to go through the pain for nothing.

What am I supposed to do now? Do I go back to tell him to cut it again? How can I make sure he will be able to cut at the right spot this time even if we do it again?

For the biopsy to have an accurate result, does the cut have to be made at the exact spot where the lump is?

I feel very helpless now. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2003, 06:05 PM   #2
(female)

W.VgirlinIOWA HB User
If I where you I would go back and talk to him ..it may be possible he didn't have to cut exactly where the lump is ...Can you still feel the lump??Maybe you should talk to him and tell him about how you looked at it and the incision is not close to the lump ..
i am no doctor but I hope this helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2003, 04:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
I would find an oral surgeron who specializes in oral cancer, and get a second opinion. What you have is most likely NOT cancer, but you shouldn't be going through random "guesswork" surgeries just to find out. Surely there must be some sort of scan that can be done to determine what that lump is...either a CT scan, an MRI, or something like that.

Good luck.

Closed Thread