It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2003, 11:22 PM   #1

asdfasdfasdf HB User
Post black thingy on my skin

i have this little black mole-ish thing on my shoulder, i've had it for as long as i can remember (i can't ever remember not having it, but i'm not sure, at least 4 months probably), i've only had maybe 10 mild sunburns in my entire life, maybe 1 bad one, but my mom is freaking out and thinks its melanoma. well?

Old 07-01-2003, 09:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

If you have had this mole "forever" and it's not changing in appearance, texture, etc. I wouldn't be too concerned. It's only when a mole CHANGES in any way or is "new" or itches, bleeds or starts to look different than before, that one should be concerned.

In melanomas, the contour of the lesion is usually
very IRREGULAR with some areas of notching. Note also the COLOR of the lesion. It is very IRREGULAR with several shades of brown, black, and even areas of red and white.

However, some melanomas are not typical of this...and if you are in any doubt, have your mother take you to a dermatologist to check it out, if only to have peace of mind.

[This message has been edited by zuzu8 (edited 07-01-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread