It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2003, 06:26 PM   #1

windchaser1 HB User
Post What am I supposed to do?

I researched a lot about oral cancer on the net lately. A lot of websites says if you feel something inside your mouth for more than 2 weeks, you should go see a dentist to check it out.

But what about if you can feel a tiny lump with your tongue. You have been feeling it for more than two weeks. But the lump is still so tiny that it's impossible for the dentist to see or feel it with his hand. Obviously, it make no use to go to see a dentist if he cant even see or feel it. In that case, what are you supposed to do? Please advise.

Old 07-23-2003, 09:58 AM   #2
Inactive

reneeintx HB User
windchaser~

How bout seeing an ear,nose and throat doctor?? or an oral surgeon maybe?? I know how lumps and bumps can be scary

Renee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2003, 09:23 PM   #3

windchaser1 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by reneeintx:
windchaser~

How bout seeing an ear,nose and throat doctor?? or an oral surgeon maybe?? I know how lumps and bumps can be scary

Renee
Thanks for your reply, Renee. I have been waiting for 2 days before I received the first reply by you.

Anyway, like I said in my original post, the lump is so tiny that I can only feel it with the tip of my tongue. Even myself cannot see it in the mirror. And I am sure an oral surgeon or ENT wouldnt be able to feel it with their fingers either. So what can they do with it? But the problem is that tiny lump has been there for more than 1 month. So it's driving me crazy.

Old 07-24-2003, 05:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
Oral cancer is very obvious by looking at it. It isn't just a small bump in the tongue. It's more of a sore. I'd guess it's just the way you are built. If a doctor can't even see it or feel it, they're not going to treat it. Tongues are pretty lumpy. If it doesn't grow any in the next couple months, then forget about it.

Old 07-24-2003, 09:46 AM   #5
Inactive

reneeintx HB User
I think an ear,nose and throat doc can help. They have these special magnifiying glasses that look like binoculars, that can see the tiniest things. They might be able to see it if very magnified. I've had lumps before so I think if you don't get it looked at you'll drive yourself crazy and your tongue will get sore alway searching for the spot you are feeling.

They have machines that can take x-rays, weird machines I've never seen before until I was there for a problem.
I really believe they can help you.

Get an appointment. It'll make you feel lots better.

Renee

Old 07-24-2003, 09:54 AM   #6

windchaser1 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Lindarella:
Oral cancer is very obvious by looking at it. It isn't just a small bump in the tongue. It's more of a sore. I'd guess it's just the way you are built. If a doctor can't even see it or feel it, they're not going to treat it. Tongues are pretty lumpy. If it doesn't grow any in the next couple months, then forget about it.
Thanks for your reply Linderella.

May be I did not put it clear enough. The tiny lump is not on my tongue. Actually it is on the soft palate. I meant to say I can only feel it with the tip of my tongue. Anyway, does it make a difference of what you have said if the tiny lump is on the soft palate instead of the tongue?

Closed Thread