It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2003, 12:45 AM   #1

soulwound2003 HB User
Post does this sound like cancer?

I have noticed a knot on my neck, just bellow my chin to the left just a hair. I noticed it maybe 3 weeks ago and now it is starting to affect me. My ear (left side) aches, my throat hurts, and my jaw (left side) hurts as well. It is a hard knot and it gives a weird kindof pain whenever i mess with it. Could this be cancer? I will tell anyone any of my symptoms if they will help. Thanks

Old 07-27-2003, 05:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
Sounds like an enlarged lymph node to me. One of the functions of the lymph nodes is to fight off infection. When they are swollen or tender it means they are doing their job. They can remain this way for several months after an infection.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2003, 09:40 AM   #3
Inactive

projapoti HB User
soulwound2003, please go see a doctor immediately. A neck lump associated with otalgia (ear pain) is not a good thing. I'm not saying it is cancer, but I am suggesting that it's more than simply an enlarged lymph node. Remember that cancer is not the only thing to be worried about...infections that involve the head and neck can often be complicated if not looked at early!

Old 07-27-2003, 09:40 AM   #4
Inactive

projapoti HB User
One thing....how old are you? This makes somewhat of a difference.

Old 07-27-2003, 05:09 PM   #5

soulwound2003 HB User
i am 21 years old. I have had a headache for 48 hours straight, not a little headache but a god awful one.

Old 07-27-2003, 07:45 PM   #6
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Hmmmm....that could actually still be a migraine. Migraines can last up to 72 hrs!!

I still think you should see a doctor, but the fact that you are 21 is very encouraging. Why? Because usually these kinds of things aren't as serious in someone who is under 40.

[This message has been edited by projapoti (edited 07-27-2003).]

Old 07-28-2003, 02:12 AM   #7

soulwound2003 HB User
thanks for the help...i'm seeing a doctor today. hope it's good news instead of bad, my mother(grandmother) died of cancer and it started the exact same way. wish me luck. thanks again.

Old 07-31-2003, 06:51 PM   #8

gret HB User
glad you are seeing a doc. it sounds very like an inflamed lymph node from an infection or virus, of which there a TONS that can cause those symptoms(mono, etc)..but you still need to se a doc to get rid of the infection or whatever. 90% of lumps are NOT cancer. The ones that are suspicious for cancer are usually,(but not always), fixed, not movable, firm or hard, not soft, non-tender, no pain to touch, and can be quite large.

Old 07-31-2003, 09:57 PM   #9
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by gret:
glad you are seeing a doc. it sounds very like an inflamed lymph node from an infection or virus, of which there a TONS that can cause those symptoms(mono, etc)..but you still need to se a doc to get rid of the infection or whatever. 90% of lumps are NOT cancer. The ones that are suspicious for cancer are usually,(but not always), fixed, not movable, firm or hard, not soft, non-tender, no pain to touch, and can be quite large.
Gret, I totally agree with your description of cancerous lymph nodes, but where did you get that 90% figure from? The number of lumps and bumps that are non-cancerous is high in younger people, but when you are over 40 (which is obviously not this case) single sided lumps in the neck are much less likely to just be benign.

Closed Thread