It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2003, 01:06 PM   #1

ktboxler HB User
Post Swollen lymph node in groin area

I have a large lump that is VERY painful in my groin area that is (I assume) a lymph node. It is located on my right side on my underwear line in the crease of my leg. It has been there for 2 years. When I shave my bikini area it gets very large and red and bruised looking. The area around it gets very pink also. When I have gone long periods of not shaving it is still there and sometimes is still painful although it is smaller. Is this something I should be worried about or is it just an ingrown hair that has become infected. I originally thought this but it has been around for quite some time!

Old 08-04-2003, 09:31 PM   #2
Inactive

projapoti HB User
The best thing you've said that is that it has "been there for quite some time". That usually means that it's nothing serious. I don't know if it's a lymph node either because those things don't stay that swollen for that long. It might be some type of collection of something (like keratin, or a blackhead type thing) under your skin. If it's grown in the recent past and it's painful, it might be a lingering infection. I'm not totally sure. Lymph nodes in that area CAN get swollen, but they wouldn't be that swollen for that long. Go and have it checked out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2003, 07:10 AM   #3

ktboxler HB User
Wink

projapoti,
thanks for the response. I have an appt wity my gyn next week. It must be some sort of infection because it is red and about the size of a nickle and the skin all around it is red. Hopefully some antibiotics will make it go away!

------------------
ktboxler

Old 08-10-2003, 07:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
It sounds like an infected hair follicle, kt. It's possible that every time you shave, it gets irritated again. Also, sometimes when a hair grows back after shaving it can become ingrown, creating a small lump.

It's a good thing that you have a doctors appointment, as your doctor can evaluate it, figure out exactly what it is and treat it. I, too, think that the fact that it's been there for two years means it's very unlikely to be cancer.

Old 08-29-2003, 01:43 AM   #5

pulabear1 HB User
Unhappy

2 weeks ago i noticed a small lump in my left groin area, which i recognized as a swollen lymph node, though i was not (am not) sick. since i first detected it it has not only quadrupled in size but has also become exremely painful, causing me to limp and sometimes prohibiting walking altogether. im going to the doctor tomorrow, but am terrified of what he will say, as about 2 years ago i had to have lumps removed from both breasts. they were (thank God!) benign, but what if this one is not? im only 20 years old, and i am scared out of my mind. even as i sit here in my computer chair sharp pains are shooting out like rays down my leg and up my side, all the way to my arm pit and across my stomach and back. finding this board has been a comfort, im so glad im not the only one who has experienced something like this (though i wouldnt wish it on anyone). sorry this is so long--

paula

Old 09-02-2003, 08:03 AM   #6

ktboxler HB User
Paula,

I hope your appt turned out ok. What did you find out? The pain in my leg was very painful too. Walking pulled on it. I did go to the dr. and found out that it is a very infected hair follicle and with every shave it irritates it. She told me that when it does get really big and swollen that I could come in and they could lance it open and drain it and give me antibiotics. (OUCH!!)

Tracy

------------------
ktboxler

Closed Thread