It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2003, 08:20 PM   #1
(male)

Tommy212 HB User
Post Black Stool

For the last couple of weeks I have been very weak and nauseous. I pretty much couldn't do anything except lay in bed. It was just 2 days ago i finally started feeling better. I started to feel i had more energy and the nausea had gone away (although i do slightly feel it every once in awhile), it was just today when i noticed i did black stool. I heard black stool is very serious and now im really worried. Is the black stool something to really worry about? Since this is my first time doing black stool should i wait to see if i do it again or rule out right away that there is something seriously wrong?

Also, I do have a second question. My fathers brother died of pancreas cancer a couple of years ago and ever since then the thought of me having it has not left my mind since. There are days where i get so worried that i sometimes can't even go to work. I am 28 years old, is it common for someone my age to get any type of cancer?

Thanks everyone for the help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2003, 05:21 PM   #2

teresa26 HB User
have you had any pepto-bismol or blueberries? those things (as well as other things) can cause black stools. (of course, blood in the stool can cause it to be black as well.) i'm sure someone with more info will be along soon to answer your questions in more depth.

i hope it turns out to be nothing. take care.

[This message has been edited by teresa26 (edited 09-24-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2003, 05:30 AM   #3

kevin579 HB User
Hello

As to the second part of your question, yes people of any age can get cancer. I have been told that actually the body will produce cells that are abnormal often, but because of the natural life expectancy of a cell it will die off. every so often in some individuals these cells will not die and they will continue to grow and multiply, this become cancer. I have seen little children with cancer and I have seen people over 100 with no cancer. This is something that can be a concern, but you cannot let it rule or destroy your life.

If you have a great worry, I myself do not think we should worry about anything, because if we cannot do anything about it why worry, it will do no good and if the worry gets too strong it will destroy our life. Back to cancer, if you have a concern, then avoid high risk things that have been shown to directly cause cancer, such as smoking. By not smoking you can avoid the highest cancer risk factor of the leading cancer. You can change your diet, eat more high fiber, natural foods without any chemical preservatives. Eat fresh fruits and vegetables. By just not smoking and eating the high fiber foods along with the fruits and vegetables you drop you risk of Lung cancer to almost 0, you greatly reduce your risk of colon cancer.

Remember do not worry or obsess, that will only hurt you. If you show symptoms of cancer them go to the doctor. Go for regular checkups they will tell you if anything is wrong. I say again do not worry, the great majority of people live their long life with no sign of cancer.

Kevin

Old 09-28-2003, 08:30 AM   #4
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Tommy212:
[b]For the last couple of weeks I have been very weak and nauseous. I pretty much couldn't do anything except lay in bed. It was just 2 days ago i finally started feeling better. I started to feel i had more energy and the nausea had gone away (although i do slightly feel it every once in awhile), it was just today when i noticed i did black stool. I heard black stool is very serious and now im really worried. Is the black stool something to really worry about?
Though I think it's important to ease patients' worries when it comes to health problems, I also think it's necessary to be realistic. The chances of blueberries causing melena (black) stools is very slim, though I do agree with the call on pepto bismol. Another benign cause of black stools is taking iron pills. Somehow, however, I have a feeling that neither of those applies to you. The other thing that is very important to rule out is an upper gastrointestinal tract bleed. The most common reason for black stools other than taking iron pills, is bleeding in the upper GI tract (i.e. the esophagus, stomach, first half of the small intestine). You can probably guess that the stool is black because there is blood in it which, through the course of travelling through the gut, gets digested and turns black. By black stools, I'm talking about black like asphalt. Were your stools like that?

It is important for you to go to a doctor and have this ruled out. Your symptoms of fatigue and what not might be due to anemia obtained from constant loss of blood. Everyone seems to be afraid of cancer, but I highly doubt it's cancer. Most likely it's either an ulcer or a form of inflammatory bowel disease.
Quote:
Since this is my first time doing black stool should i wait to see if i do it again or rule out right away that there is something seriously wrong?
No..like I said, I think you should go to the doctor right away.
Quote:
Also, I do have a second question. My fathers brother died of pancreas cancer a couple of years ago and ever since then the thought of me having it has not left my mind since. There are days where i get so worried that i sometimes can't even go to work. I am 28 years old, is it common for someone my age to get any type of cancer?
Pancreatic cancer wouldn't present the way your condition is presenting. Also, depending on what kind of cancer your relatives had and at what age, will determine if it's likely for you to have cancer. If you had an uncle that died at age 30 of colon cancer, well, then you should get investigated. It largely depends on genetic factors.

Thanks everyone for the help.

[This message has been edited by projapoti (edited 09-28-2003).]

Old 09-29-2003, 08:24 PM   #5
(male)

Tommy212 HB User
First, i would like to thank everyone for the reply. its great that so many people care. these boards are great.

I just wanna update everyone on whats been happening. On the day of my first post where i said my nausea and fatigue had gone away. Well, it came back the next day which hit me really hard. Not only that, several things also happened:

First: Other then the one time i did black stool, i had never done it again, all the stools i've done were of normal color... which is good???

Second: Frequent Urination... at times when i urinate i actually go back 10 mins later after the first urinate. This seems to only happen during evening. Every night would be 5 times, which is strange.

Third: this is hard to explain, but my whole body just seems to ache all over, especially around my ribs, like a sharp pain just hits me out of nowhere then disappears.

With all that, I then decided that it was time to visit a doc. It was on saturday the september 27th i went. I explained everything to the doc on whats been happening........ to make a long story short, she feared that i might have symptons of diabetes which really scared me. She took a blood work of me and my results are suppose to be in on wednesday or thursday. If however its not diabetes or if the blood work doesn't show anything, i might have to go back and see what else is wrong. I think thats it, i feel nauseous again, its a little hard typing right now so i think i'll go to bed, if i remember anything else i'll post it up.

Thanks again everyone for the help.

[This message has been edited by Tommy212 (edited 09-29-2003).]

Old 10-03-2003, 10:35 AM   #6
(male)

Tommy212 HB User
Hello everyone, i got back my results and they were not able to find nothing. However they did recommend me to come back and do more tests and see what exactly is wrong with me. The thing is, as of right now i do not have insurance because i am unable to afford it at this time, please... if anyone has information on where i can get medicare (insurance for the low income, maybe a site or a phone number) please post it here so i may sign up/call for it.

Thank you for the help.

Old 10-04-2003, 10:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User
take a look at this site. Especially under the part for lead poisoning. See if it sounds like it applies to your situation.

[url="http://www.fda.gov/ora/inspect_ref/iom/exhibits/x910c.html"]http://www.fda.gov/ora/inspect_ref/iom/exhibits/x910c.html[/url]

Closed Thread