It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2005, 09:48 AM   #1
(female)

wmjsease HB User
can a ct scan of the neck show all head and neck cancers

Just wondering if a ct scan of the neck can show all head and neck cancers around the neck area. I had one just a few months ago for a throat and neck problem that is still persisting. My tongue hurts a lot underneath and goes numb on the sides. My throat also hurts a lot. Went to an ENT who did a scope and said that it was nothing. It's getting so bad that sometimes I have to lie down and sleep just to get relief. I was wondering if it would show the salivary glands and other things. All the scan showed was a few more glands on one side than typically seen. I also had a mri of the c-spine to make sure it wasn't a pinched nerve causing this per ENT's order. THis is driving me crazy

Old 03-11-2005, 12:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lbp35 HB User
Re: can a ct scan of the neck show all head and neck cancers

I think it would show something. But the ENT more than likely would have. My friend who had throat cancer had his found by the ENT. He had sore throats and a lump in his throat. He lost weight and was very tired but his cancer was advanced. As soon as he went to the ENT, the doctor found the cancer with the scope.They can see alot with it.He had the cat scan & pet scan after which showed the extent of the cancer. He had the lump in his neck for a long time before seeing a doctor because he was afraid. If you are not happy with this doc, please see someone else for your peace of mind. If it is cancer it can be treated so much easier the earlier it is caught. I hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2005, 04:42 PM   #3
(female)

wmjsease HB User

thanks I appreciate that. I asked my dentist today about it and he's referring me to an oral surgeon, because he thinks it may be dental related since it's under my tongue and in my jaw bones sometimes. I did get the scope thing at the ent when i went, but it didn't show anything. Maybe the oral surgeon will give me an answer. It's so unbearable sometimes.

Old 03-17-2005, 08:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

Thyroid cancer usually will not show up on a regular CAT scan unless its very large either.

Closed Thread