It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2005, 07:03 PM   #1
(female)

Sabam HB User
Colon cancer - survival chances ...

Is anyone aware of the chances of survival in a patient who has had colon cancer and metastase to the liver?

Old 03-19-2005, 09:15 AM   #2

spag HB User
Re: Colon cancer - survival chances ...

My Dad had colon cancer which spread to his liver and survived for a very long time. They were able to remove the cancer from both his colon and then 4 times on his liver. However, now it is in his liver and lymphnodes and they cannot cure it. I don't know what metastase is but i do know that for my dad overcoming colon cancer was quite simple, the problem has been where it has spread to.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2005, 08:30 AM   #3
(male)

sf29 HB User

My father was diagnosed over 4 1/2 years ago. As the last post stated - the colon was the easy part. It's the liver that is hardest for us. However, if I'm remembering right - the liver can regenerate it's own cells - so when part of it is removed - it comes back. Survival for "spread" to neighboring organs is in the 60% range at 5 years. Survival for "spread" to distant organs is something like 7%. Chin up...I remember focusing on stats in the beginning. Probably wasn't a good thing in retrospect.

Sitting at his bedside typing this, as we are in the final days - his tumors in his liver are right on the Bile Duct and can't be removed or radiated. He made it almost 5 years though - and 3 more grandchildren! Most of my adult life I have known this disease. Not to be "glass is half full" - but someone has to be that 60% or 7% survivor...I pray it's you/your loved one.

Old 03-27-2005, 12:42 PM   #4
(female)

Baylee Bianca HB User

My grandma was diagnosed with colon cancer in 1979 and lived until 1988.
She passed away from something other than the colon cancer. She was
considered cured of the cancer. She did not have liver mets though.

Old 03-27-2005, 12:45 PM   #5

Pink00 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spag
My Dad had colon cancer which spread to his liver and survived for a very long time. They were able to remove the cancer from both his colon and then 4 times on his liver. However, now it is in his liver and lymphnodes and they cannot cure it. I don't know what metastase is but i do know that for my dad overcoming colon cancer was quite simple, the problem has been where it has spread to.
The correct spelling is metastasis.. and it means the cancer spread

Old 03-29-2005, 12:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ktee_uk HB User

Hi there

my husband is a stage 4 colon cancer survivor. He had anterior bowel resction, 3 months chemo (oxalipltin/5fu/leucrovin) to shrink tumors in liver, then liver resection (75% of liver taken) , one month radiotherapy/5fu, then 3 months chemo again.

He is now 2 years since original diagnosis and the latest barrage of tests have proven clear.

Statisitcs are good at scaring people and are ususally out of date. Its good to know what you are up against but in my husband's experience, concentrate on the here and now.

There is also a great section on the health forums specifically for Colon Cancer.

good luck
ktee

Old 03-30-2005, 09:22 AM   #7
(male)

rIcHrD HB User

If it spreads, then chances race towards baseline depending on just how far it has spread. If it hasn't, chances depend on the age of the sufferer. If they're old, they're usually left as is and barely managed perhaps with some chemotherapy here and there to try and keep it at bay. The reason is that severe complications (mainly bleeding leading to short term intensive care therapy) are more likely and more extensive in older people, and for cost/benefit ratio reasons, unless the person has a lot of money to pay for treatment, old people are generally not aggressively treated. If the person is young however, then a nice clean chunk of the colon is spliced out, the rest sewn together, a couple of weeks recovering in bed, with some chemotherapy for added measure to kill any lingering cancer cells and a return to home sweet home to finish off.

Old 04-01-2005, 12:44 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ktee_uk HB User

Just to put peoples minds at rest regarding treatments for colon cancer available in UK and USA. There are many older people who are healthy enough to go through surgery to colon, liver or lungs, chemotherapy and radiotherapy. Each patient is assessed as an individual. There are plenty of postings on the boards to testify to how well people respond to aggressive treatments.

Statistics should not be relied upon and certainly should not be used as a method for determining whether a patient should go ahead with treatment or not.

Old 04-06-2005, 12:27 PM   #9
(female)

cactus46 HB User
Question Re: Colon cancer - survival chances ...

My mother-in-law just found out last week that she had a blockage in her colon. She hadn't been feeling well (diarhea, nausea, low energy, etc.). She went to her doctor and when he did her blood work he sent her to the hospital for a colonoscopy right away. When they found the blockage they decided to do surgery immediately. During surgery they removed the colon tumor, polyps and lymph nodes. They also discovered cancer on the liver and did a biopsy. Her doctor says she's in stage 4 of a very aggressive colon and liver cancer. She refuses to have kemo after seeing her brother battle colon cancer and lose. I'm pretty sure she won't go for liver surgery since she has had a hard recovery from the colon surgery. She's 73 yrs. old. The whole family is in shock!! Her mother passed away last year at 99 yrs. old. We always assumed that my mother-in-law would live to her late eighties/early nineties.
I guess my question is. . .What type of timeline can we expect if she will not have any kind of treatment. Does she have 2 months, 6 months, a year? Anyone??

Last edited by cactus46; 04-07-2005 at 10:17 PM.

Old 04-09-2005, 01:14 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ktee_uk HB User

Cactus

My mother was a very similar case to yours except she was 77 y/old at diagnosis. We were told that if she had no further treatment after her colon resection then the cancer would engulf her liver probably within 6 months. At first she did not want chemo but we persuaded her to listen to what the doctors could offer and just try it for at least one cycle. In the end she tolerated 2 cycles of xeloda pills but stopped due to side effects and other health probs. The chemo did shrink the tumors in her liver and she lived for 16 months after original diagnosis (approx 9 months after stopping chemo).

regards
ktee

Old 04-09-2005, 11:06 PM   #11
(female)

cactus46 HB User

ktee:

Thanks so much for responding. That is very encouraging to hear. I'm not sure if we can persuade my MIL to have chemo or not. But it's worth a try. I'm going to share your story with other family members if you don't mind. It's always good to hear something positive. Thanks again.

cactus46

Closed Thread