It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2006, 10:14 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Spin444 HB User
Lung cancer/marijuana

Does anyone know of the ability of marijuana smoking to cause cancer? Our friend smokes just pot and now has emphazema. Since Dana Reeves died of lung cancer recently and didn't smoke cigarettes, I've been wondering if she and other non-smokers, may possibly have smoked marijuana. For some reason, even though pot has some of the same chemicals in it that tobacco does, people don't consider using it as "smoking". I just read something that said, since pot smokers inhale more deeply and hold the smoke there longer, that they may even be more susceptible to the problem.

Old 03-09-2006, 01:59 PM   #2

freddykrueger HB User
Re: Lung cancer/marijuana

There is four times the amount of tobaco in one joint then in one ciggarette, but tobaco is not what makes cigarettes so deadly. Cigarettes have many other deadly chemicals such as rat poisening, methane, tar, and it even contains a chemical used in the making of nuclear bombs. Pot doesan't have all those other chemicals, therefor it is less dangerous.

I also recall reading that there is no evidence to prove that pot can cause cancer, although scientists speculate that it is a possibility.
There is no documented death by marijauna.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2006, 08:48 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Spin444 HB User

I don't know that there "is no documented death by marijuana". Also they never used to test (and don't even now, often) for it when there's a car accident. Good pot can impair one's skills. There's no doubt about that. There's no way that anyone can say that no one has died because of pot.

Scientists believe that marijuana can be especially harmful to the lungs because users often inhale the unfiltered smoke deeply and hold it in their lungs as long as possible. Therefore, the smoke is in contact with lung tissues for long periods of time, which irritates the lungs and damages the way they work. Marijuana smoke contains some of the same ingredients in tobacco smoke that can cause emphysema and cancer. In addition, many marijuana users also smoke cigarettes; the combined effects of smoking these two substances creates an increased health risk.

Can marijuana cause cancer? Marijuana smoke has been found to contain more cancer-causing agents than is found in tobacco smoke. Examination of human lung tissue that had been exposed to marijuana smoke over a long period of time in a laboratory showed cellular changes called metaplasia that are considered precancerous. In laboratory test, the tars from marijuana smoke have produced tumors when applied to animal skin. These studies suggest that it is likely that marijuana may cause cancer if used for a number of years. It's simply common sense to suspect marijuana use when lung cancer occurs and the person wasn't a cigarette smoker.

Old 03-10-2006, 12:38 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Lisa101010 HB User

I just wanted to add that there isn't tobacco in marijuana. That just doesn't make any sense. They are two totally different plants. That'd be like a tree having both oak leaves and pine needles.

Old 03-10-2006, 09:11 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Spin444 HB User

Tobacco in mariujauna? I don't get it. Who suggested that?

My point is, is that smoking marijuana can also cause lung cancer. It does have some of the same chemicals as tobacco. What doesn't make sense is to think that inhaling, deeply, smoke from marijuana, regularly or irregularly, can't cause lung problems, even cancer. Why would inhaling smoke of any sort, be safe? Lungs weren't meant for that kind of abuse. I'm not intolerant of pot smoking, but just want everyone to be aware that it's not perfectly safe as so many advocates believe. It's probably better to eat the stuff in bakery, than smoke it, if you really have to have it.

Last edited by Spin444; 03-10-2006 at 09:12 PM.

Old 03-14-2006, 11:29 AM   #6
(female)

Molly_Ann HB User

look above freddykrueger .. first line of his post suggested the tobacco in marijuana theory

Closed Thread