It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2006, 03:52 PM   #1
(female)

jhamilton401 HB User
Please Help Very Scared I Have Cancer

I am very very worried about my health.
I have had ongoing stomach problems for about 2 years now.
I bloat up when I eat, usually in the morning when I wake up my stomach is the worst, if feels raw inside and sometimes my stomach around my belly button area burns, it doesn't feel like heartburn though, I burp up air a lot, I have frequent diarreah and sometimes constipation. Some days my stomach growls all day long, whether I have eaten or not.
I have lost a tremedous amount of weight not being able to eat a full meal. I have to eat little bird bites now or it feels like the food won't go down and then it feels like it just sits at the top of my stomach for hours after I eat and won't digest.
My husband mentioned to me today that my skin has a very weird color to it.
I was told the same thing by a coworker several years back but then my doc just said that was the color of my skin, an olive skin tone but lately it may have turned more yellowish, I can't tell a change myself but I guess my husband and others can.
I don't drink or smoke.
I have been to a gastroenterologist and have had a colonoscopy, endoscopy and several blood tests done. Oh, and also an ultrasound of my gallbladder. Which that test result came back very weird. The doc couldn't find my gallbladder and either he said I was born without one which is very rare he says or it has contracted up underneath my liver. He wanted a hyda scan done but I never went and had it done. All that has come back so far is mild colitis.
Could I have stomach or pancreatic cancer. Would something have came back on the tests I have done that would have indicated cancer? The last test I had was about a year ago before I lost my job and my health insurance. I was so sick I couldn't work and my work was less than understanding as an understatement.
Please someone help. I don't want to die, I want to find out what is wrong with me, I want my life back!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2006, 05:32 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

shnswms HB User
Re: Please Help Very Scared I Have Cancer

Do you have any anxiety problems? It sounds like you are very stressed out. You have had a pretty comprehensive workup. Other tests you may consider are an abdominal ultrasound and a upper gi series with small bowel followthrough. If these problems have persisted for over two years chances are it is not cancer. I would recommend the upper gi series with small bowel, which tracks the movement of barium (white chalky liquid you drink) through your digestive system, while x-rays are taken. It could be acid reflux. Endoscopy would have ruled out stomach cancer. Colonoscopy would have ruled out any large intestine problems. You should consult your physician and tell him what you are afraid of and he can probably ease your fears. Good luck.

Old 04-20-2006, 09:52 AM   #3
(female)

ladyj2 HB User

Has anyone ever thought you might have irritable bowel syndrome? Constipation, diarrhea, nausea (very common in the morning) are all symptoms.

Old 04-25-2006, 07:22 PM   #4
(male)

john the bomb HB User

Youprobably DO NOT have cancer!You may be stressed out.I know the feeling.Good luck to you.

Old 04-27-2006, 01:23 PM   #5
(female)

hibes HB User

I had all the same symtoms and was diagnosed with H Pylon ,,,, read up about it ,,, only takes 7 days to get rid of it.... good luck ...
let me know

Old 05-10-2006, 09:27 AM   #6
(female)

cheshire HB User

Hey there, i have a lot of the same symptoms:chronic stomach problems, bloating and pain after eating and fatigue. I finally had a huge panic attck and went to a clinic fearing a heart attack (i don't have insurance either.) The doctor seemed to think that most of the symptoms were caused by stress and anxiety. He gave me an antibiotic for my stomach and antiinflammatorys for a lot of the pain which although it didn't feel like it to me was mostly muscle and tendon pain. If you've had blood tests, they would have been looking for markers for cancer, if these markers were there your doctors would have immediatley started trying to rule out cancers instead of running other tests, and they probably would have told you this. Stress and anxiety can be surprisingly physical and can make you very very sick. If your skin is looking yellowish you probably aren't getting enough vitamins and nutrients which in turn makes you tired and sick which makes you scared which makes you sick and unable to eat. Some things that have helped me a little are: Lavender (the scent) it has an amazingly calming effect, when i'm having trouble eating other things i eat dark green leafy veggies like chard, spinach or kale cooked really soft and simple, they are packed full of nutrients and make you feel better, light exercise like moderate walking or not very strenuous yoga on a regular basis, getting enough sleep. The number one helper though was having a doctor tell me that anxiety and stress were causing these horrible physical reactions so i no longer felt like i was dying or going crazy. Also make sure you're not lactose intolerant (i am) or allergic to other food groups. Feel better!

Old 05-11-2006, 06:53 PM   #7
(female)

Newsome HB User

I'm having a very similar problem. It was very sporadic but now as I've aged (35) It's gotten more prounounced. It's been very bad since an old bf visited me in March and wants to bring me home to California. Which would mean leaving my 82 year old father who is in end stage emphysema living alone. Moving 2 cats, one of which is a little psycho (I love my little psycho cat, she was abused when she was young) and has had some pretty nasty medical problems of her own (she's healthy right now though). My mother died of pancreatic cancer in 1997. She was vaguely ill for quite a while and was even in the hosptial for a blood clot. They took hundreds of blood tests and never found the cancer until one morning at home she was so obviously ill she wanted to go to the ER. She couldn't breathe. She died only a few days after diagnosis.

I went to the doctor Apr 24 and was diagnosed with an intercostal strain and chondritis. He felt my guts real good. The pain in my side and tender ribs have gotten a lot better...but it is still there. I'd had a normal blood test (CBC) 3 months before.

But I feel so sick. Little energy. Not much interest in food but I do eat. However, whenever I do, I get cramps. And every time I sleep when I get up I have to use the bathroom. It's like my body runs food through as fast as possible. And I do feel soo nervous all the time. I only weigh 95 pounds at best at 5' 2" height. I also seem to have to wee wee a lot as well. But I've always been like that. My stomach sometimes feels like something very heavy is on top of it and even gives me shortness of breath. Like the muscles are all tight and pressing into me and I can't lift them. All the doc gave me was some ativan, but I'm already on klonopin which I prefer to stick with. I don't want to take all this stuff because it just increases my fatigue and desire to sleep every couple hours and makes me feel like I'm on my death bed. I do seem to stay up a lot at night sometimes until well after sunrise. I have wicked nightly nightmares. I think a lot of my problems are stress as has been mentioned to others.

But I already have panic attacks and GAD (generalized anxiety disorder). It has caused me to think I have all sorts of terminal health problems. It started when I was 20 around Christmas and I couldn't stop crying. Then, my very first panic attack which I had no idea what was happening to me. I bought a medical text and soon there after I thought I had every type of cancer known. I've always been deadly afraid of cancer. My step-sister on my dad's side has had it three times. Twice in her breast and then migrating to the lung most recently where she had part of her lung removed. We lost a dear neighbor to liver cancer two years ago. His wife died of non-hodgkin's 3 years before. My mother's best friend died of multiple myloma 4 years before that. Most of these people had few if any risk factors for cancer. It seems to come on suddenly and from no where. It makes me feel paranoid...wondering when it's going to be my turn to die from it. One thing is for sure, they all dealt with it and died much braver than I could.

Anxiety can indeed make you very ill. It can give you symptoms of any disease you happen to be afraid of. The bad thing is, it's so very hard to tell between the two. When you really need to seek medical attention and when you're just being a hypochonriac. I don't have the access to the medical treatment I had back home due to being uninsured, if I did, I'm sure I'd be at the office every week with some concern. I'd like to request more blood tests and perhaps a CT scan of my internals...but if you do that on medicaid...they look at you like you're nuts. Especially if they already have it in their head it's all your mind.

I bought some health supplements online that are probably bunk, but I feel the need to do something about how badly I feel. I know that I am in poor shape having lived in near total isolation for these last few years, watching my father slowly decline, trying to keep the step-family from tearing me to shreds and little to no exercise and known to have butterfingers and a soda for breakfast. How could I expect to feel good with no exercise and such a terrible diet for so long. I have been trying to eat healthier and cutting out most junk foods and cut way down on the soda. I try to drink mostly juice.

I just feel worn down, like my system is just too screwed up to know how to function anymore. Similar to how I feel mentally.

I hope this post helps someone or gives some comfort that you're not alone or if nothing else...pass some time. When your body doesn't feel right...it is scary no matter whether it's physical or mental.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:32 PM   #8
(female)

HelpMeHoldOn HB User

Keep your head high, although it is easier said then done. You are in my prayers and will continue to be! Hailey

Old 05-11-2006, 11:05 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

nightowl2 HB User
Arrow For" Help with Cancer".....

Here is what I do, when I get really depressed and or so down that I have severe anxiety and I just don't feel like going on and living.....

maybe this will help some!

First, it's very hard to keep smiling...so, if you can cuddle and talk with your cat or any animal that you have...even a teddy bear would do....
(I don't care what age you are....just go for it...because it DOES save your life..and helps a lot more, than the people who aren't sick know!)
Talk to your cat....tell your pet how much you love them,and snuggle, with pets or if you have a husband, or friend that you can hug, that also helps, and even back rubs and shoulder rubs....

Also, believe it or not, you give yourself a huge hug...tell your self, "I am gonna be alright! If I have gotten sick before, I have gotten well before,and If I have done this many times before, I will keep on persevering! I am not gonna give up on myself!" I learned about the "hug for yourself" from a movie that I saw, with Marlo Thomas in it...I think that she played a mentally ill woman....and in one scene, she gave "her inner child" a hug...but, it was the adult on the outside is what the audience saw!

I have also seen people say that just giving yourself a hug,and really meaning it, is a healthy thing,and a great way to make your self feel loads better! (you can always do this, when nobody is around!) I have personally done this for me...and it actually helped me get more "UMPH!"...I was less sad, less down in the dumps!

I also cuddle, with whom or whatever....and it helps, alot!
I also think that animals have healing ways,,,and your cat or cats may really, really help you alot...so do not despair...reach out....also try to find out if there is a "Wellness" facility or a Cancer group near you, that you could join, or perhaps just a therapy group.....support is something that gives you some "get up and go", so that you don't quit on yourself.....I don't want you to "let things go...." I have been in the deep depressed places....and I wouldn't want you to "go there" trust me!

Let us know, how you are doing, okay?

nightowl2

Closed Thread