It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2006, 04:08 PM   #1
(female)

kare4me HB User
Is this a Lipoma or Liposarcoma..or neither

Ok,I am not sure that what I have is really a Lipoma but my doctors don't seem to know what it is..So I am trying to get more information to take to another doctor on Monday...

I am 34 yrold Female and have been ill feeling for over 1 year with several non related symptoms. But, about 9 weeks ago I noticed a swollen bump on my left legs shin. it is right below my knee just to the right of my shinn. When I first noticed it is was about the size of an egg and it was just soft and squishy didnt hurt so I ignored it and figured it would go away. Well about 3 weeks ago it started to hurt still no color change just a bump but was sore and hurt to touch and even my pants rubbing it hurt so I went to the Doctor and he looked at it and measured it at 6cm and he immediatly sent me to the Hopital and told me to get an X-ray and untralsound done to check for DVT (deep vein thombosis).

The results came back negative and the only thing the ultrasound showed was that there is a dark mass not fluid but dense tissue just above the muscle in the soft tissue. My Doctor told me that it was probably just a deep bruise that has not come to the surface yet. so he told me to just keep it elivated and put heat on it. and if it got worse to call him back. So I went home and did that.. Well I waited 2 more weeks it got bigger and hurt even more to the point now I can't stand longer then 15 min's on that leg. and to walk and do normal day to day functions is very hard. at times my whole leg will swell and get really puffy and the bump gets huge. I went back to the Doctor as a follow up to show him it is bigger and he measured it again and now it is 15cm still no color change, still kinda squishy but has firmed up a bit but now looks like I have a softball under my skin on my leg.

He said he still has no idea what it is and so he has me going to an orthopedic doctor on Monday..So does this sound like a Lipoma or am I comlpletly off. I just looked up what it looked like and so I am only assuming this is what it is. am I on the right trake or not..the docotors don't seem to know so I hope maybe you might help me down the right road. What should I ask about on Monday and what do I expect. thanks for any help you might have.

Any suggestions or thoughts is wonderful.
Thanks,
Karianne

The following user gives a hug of support to kare4me:
howardman652 (08-05-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2006, 09:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User
Re: Is this a Lipoma or Liposarcoma..or neither

It sounds like some sort of injury. I had a spindle cell sarcoma in my leg--it did NOT ever hurt, grew rapidly and noticeably (noticed big changes in the lump over several months) and my doctor excised it to test it. They thought for sure it was a lipoma, but alas it was not. If your doctor is not excising it it could be for one of 2 reasons: 1) he is extremely negligent 2) he sees no signs whatsoever that what you have is a tumor. You can get a lump and have it be an injury , a herniated muscle, a cyst... Most docs can get an idea of what they are dealing with just be palpating the mass. Not to mean they can diagnose a malignancy that way, but tumors present very differently from some other problems. Mine was wierd-very hard, very round and solid, and always growing bigger and bigger. I had a hernia in my calf after my cancer surgery, due to walking differently. It is a large painful lump and it doesn't concern me. Doc could tell right away it was an injury. I've had that for 15 years-no change in size or shape, just a big (tennis-ball size) hard painful lump.

Old 06-09-2006, 12:31 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

crawfish123456 HB User

no way to tell until the doc see's it. if it is growing in size and now u have pain is prob. do the fact we have a big nerve -peroneal nerve-that runs from the back on the knee around the shine to the area where your leg meets your foot and that nerve can tell if something is pressing on it. your pain might ever go to your big toe. see the doc but more than likely it is a lipoma, they are very common. right you 15 pounds or more over weight? if so, lipomas are noted more in overwight people. i had one the size of a prune on the out side of my thigh. 20mins later the md-plastic's md-removed it and and sent it to pathology -this is normal, they send everything. it was just that a lipoma. the fact that it is round is good. and if the ultra sound says it has well defined clean borders that's good, most of the time. the prettier a mass looks -nice and round like an orange vs. irregular borders like a acorn squash - the better chance it is not maligent.

good luck, don't worry and drive yourself nuts.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:33 AM   #4
(female)

tess50 HB User

hi i was just wondering what the outcome was as iv got a similar problem and they are saying its relating to my ankle bone and achilles tendon,let me know cheers teresa

Closed Thread