It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2006, 05:57 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

John_33 HB User
Annual Physical Check up and Cancer..A question everyone should consider...

I have a question which really causes me immense fear....

We all know that one should get a check up every year....but what are the chances of developing cancer or any other disease shortly after receiving a clean bill of health from your physician?

My worst case scenario is...You go to the doctor...Get the blood tests and physical...you are told that you are physically fit...and a few weeks later you get cancer...what is the possibility of this happening?

I had my physical 6 months ago...What are the chances that I could have developed a disease in that time frame?

Then shouldnt we be getting a check up every month then?

Last edited by John_33; 07-25-2006 at 06:00 PM.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:04 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

mikosha HB User
Re: Annual Physical Check up and Cancer..A question everyone should consider...

Some cancers can develop for a few days.Ex, some kind of leucocyte cancers.Doesn't matter.You can check yourself every month.Just relax, live your life.
mikosha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2006, 06:35 PM   #3
(female)

DJW HB User

It's funny that you should mention this...

I went for my annual check up last Fall and was given a clean bill of health. However, during that check up I showed my doctor a painful boil I had on my upper thigh. She prescribed antibiotics and the boil went away. But - because my insurance only paid for an annual pap-smear no less than 365 days apart from the last one - I had to reschedule my pap and come back in to see her a month after my annual check up. It was then that she noticed that my lymph nodes near the boil area were still swollen. That's when she decided to scan them with ultra sound and a CT and eventually have one biopsied months later.

The biopsy showed squamous cell carcinoma. This is a fairly slow growing cancer - but almost any cancer can turn aggressive at some point...

I will have surgery to remove the cancer before my next annual check up..

Old 07-25-2006, 08:08 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

shnswms HB User

Let me give you some advice. You can't spend every day of your life worrying about what ifs. All you can do is live your life and take things as they come. You can be proactive and get your yearly physicals and the appropriate tests done once you reach certain ages like colonscopies, prostate exams, mammograms, etc. I read a recent study that said stress was thought to bring on cancer in some cases. I used to have a terrible terrible fear of cancer just like you. I made up every possible symptom in my mind and was sure I had every type of cancer at different periods of my life. You know what I ended up with? A lot of medical bills. All the tests clear. And I'm still here today. I had to learn to control my anxiety. Your mind can do horrible things to your body. Good luck and go have some fun!

Old 07-25-2006, 08:50 PM   #5
(female)

DJW HB User

shnswms,
I completely agree with your post!

And even now - after my diagnosis - I can't worry about future cancers!
I just will not allow it! Stress is indeed the cause of many illness and too much is concentrated in the news these days on blame and behavior and lifestyles and diet...etc... It's no wonder the people of this country are so sick! We are condtioned to be stressed out about everything!

I'm learning that ignorance is bliss and the more you know - the more you stress and the more you stress - the more you are likely to get ill.
We all have cancer cells in our bodies - our bodies are designed to kill them and they do! If you get cancer - just "know" that you'll get rid of it and believe it. then relax.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

I've had cancer and even I don't spend my time worrying...

If you put it into perspective, you could die tomorrow in an automobile accident, or you could live to be a hundred. It is your choice whether or not you make the most of what time you have. If you are worrying, then you are not making the most of your life. I'm lucky. I've been cancer-free for 15 years! I know I could develop cancer again. I also know that aside from routine checkups and paying attention to my health, I am not in total control of my fate-AND THAT IS OKAY.

If you worry now, you won't enjoy your healthy years. Life is rough. Enjoy the good moments and know that what you do with the time you have is what matters!

Old 07-27-2006, 01:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

As a survivor of two different types of cancer and a heart attack, not to mention other long-term serious illnesses, I agree with everything already said. My philosophy can be summed up by a quote from John Lennon, "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans."

That said, I did want to advise you, John, that if you find yourself worrying a lot or even obsessing over things like whether or not you could get cancer, you may want to consult a psychotherapist. There is a disorder called "generalized anxiety disorder" which is no laughing matter...people who have it become overly anxious about nearly everything. It's really caused by a chemical imbalance, and it's quite treatable. (Not saying you have it...but just wanted to mention it in case all this advice still has you saying, "but I'm still worrying about it....")

Ruth

Closed Thread