It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2006, 11:50 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

vinniestugots HB User
can bloodtests reveal cancer?

During routine blood tests, though it may not be pin-pointed as to which type of cancer, but can cancer be revealed through a blood test? If something was off, do red flags go up to do further testing?

Old 10-20-2006, 06:29 PM   #2
(female)

westllen HB User
Re: can bloodtests reveal cancer?

White & Red blood cells will be out of whack sometimes.

Have you had blood work that is out of whack? There are blood tests for specific types of cancer. Like a PSA for Prostate Cancer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

Maybe your alkaline Phosphate I think it is? Look that one up to see what a high test result reveals.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Post Re: can bloodtests reveal cancer?

I don't know what you mean by routine blood tests??
But, a Complete Blood Count does include your Lymphocytes that are responsible for developing specific immunities.
Some red flags go up with some blood tests but there are too many types of cancers for just a routine blood tests to indicate--- You may not know but there are more than 100 different varities of cancers-- different causes, different symptoms -- vary in aggressiveness but most types of cancer fall in 4 very board catagories:

1. Carcinomas---cancers that affect glands, internal organs, skin and mucous membranes.

2. Leukemias---cancers of the blood-- and blood forming tissues.

3. Sarcomas---cancers that affect the bones, muscles and connective tissure.

4. Lymphomas--- cancers that affect the lymphatic system.

There are basically 7 classical symptoms to look for with cancers. I have read that 50% men and 33% women have some of these symptoms during their lives.

Bleeding and blood tests are only one.

With the lymphocytes --There are 3 important type of these cells -- the T cells, B cells and the NK cells.

The T cells mature in your Thymus gland and play a major role in immunity.

The B cells mature in the bone marrow---and are responsible for producing antibodies.

The NK (natrual killer) cells destroy cells that have become infected or become cancerous.

If your lymphocytes numbers, during a blood test, are off then chances are you could have problems and need more tests.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 10-20-2006 at 11:27 PM.

Old 10-21-2006, 06:51 AM   #5
(female)

westllen HB User

Harry, that was quite informative. Thank you. As I am battling Malignant Melanoma, nothing in my blood tests raised a flag. I have an appt with an oncologist coming up. Are there any specific blood tests I should ask for? Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Old 10-21-2006, 08:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

As you already Maligant Melanoma is very aggressive form of cancer and spreads rapidly to other parts of the body.
The tests I think you need is to make sure it has not spread.
There are many C marker blood tests that can help determine if other parts of the body are healthy and not affected.

The Important thing about Melanomas is to detect them very----very early and be treated properly but you probably know that already.

I wish you well~~~Harry

Last edited by Harry; 10-21-2006 at 08:02 AM.

Old 10-21-2006, 09:06 AM   #7
(female)

westllen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry
As you already Maligant Melanoma is very aggressive form of cancer and spreads rapidly to other parts of the body.
The tests I think you need is to make sure it has not spread.
There are many C marker blood tests that can help determine if other parts of the body are healthy and not affected.

The Important thing about Melanomas is to detect them very----very early and be treated properly but you probably know that already.

I wish you well~~~Harry

Harry, all info is appreciated I have found that alot of Drs look at you like a number. You must be diligent in your own care.

I've researched as much as I can. I had uterine and ovarian cancer. This is a whole new ball game for me. I just like to have as much knoweldge before entering a new zone

Thank you!

Old 10-22-2006, 08:39 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

vinniestugots HB User

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Only reason that im concerned is because my doctor thinks I have Polycythemia. My hemoglobin counts were very high over the past 4 bloodtests ive done. 18.6, 17.8, 15.9 (fasting), and 17.5 have been the numbers when the range is 11.5-15.5

All other blood counts are within range, and my doctor first asked me if I was dehydrated because that can throw off your red bloodcell count. All those bloodtests were done within a months time because I was having serious heart palps from a bodybuilding supplement I was using and I thought I was having heart trouble. Everything came back okay on the heart side, but he noticed my Hemoglobin was high. I go in this Wed for more bloodwork and if the numbers are still high, he says that he is going to diagnose me with Polycythemia Vera which basically sucks.

Then again Ive read where more than just your hemoglobin has to be out of whack to make a diagnoses of Polycythemia Vera? And the only reason I asked about bloodtests revealing cancer is because Im pretty much scared ******** about Poly turning into Leukemia.....

Old 10-22-2006, 01:15 PM   #9
(female)

westllen HB User

Do you have symptoms which include headache, shortness of breathe, bleeding, or dizziness????

Old 10-22-2006, 01:59 PM   #10
(female)

ryrich HB User

CA125 works only if it is elevated prior to surgery, anything above 35, if it is then and only then they will use it for a "tumor marker" ,but lots of people have ovarian, uterine cancers without an elevated CA125. how helpful is that test!!! false positives, negatives. Mine was elevated, so every so often they take it and any rise in numbers starts the "old roller coaster ride"

Old 10-22-2006, 02:00 PM   #11
(female)

ryrich HB User

CA125 works only if it is elevated prior to surgery, anything above 35, if it is then and only then they will use it for a "tumor marker" ,but lots of people have ovarian, uterine cancers without an elevated CA125. how helpful is that test!!! false positives, negatives. Mine was elevated, so every so often they take it and any rise in numbers starts the "old roller coaster ride"

Old 10-22-2006, 02:00 PM   #12
(female)

ryrich HB User

Sooooooooooooo Many Tests for soooooooooooooo many Cancers.

Last edited by ryrich; 10-22-2006 at 02:03 PM.

Old 10-22-2006, 02:29 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

vinniestugots HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by westllen
Do you have symptoms which include headache, shortness of breathe, bleeding, or dizziness????
No i do not.

I really had no symptoms for PV other than some slight fatigue(not enough to keep me out of the gym though) and if I cover my left ear I hear ringing.

Now dehydration is another thing! Ever since the summer, ive been extra thirsty, dry tounge, fatigue, sunken eyes(circles), and dark colored urine.. And when I pass urine, its very little...

Hopefully its just dehydration, but since the hemoglobin keeps popping up as high/ very high, my doc suggested I see a hemotologist. The hemotologist told me that if I walked into his office and I had the 18.6 reading, he would have diagnosed me on the spot! But since my levels have fluctuated, he wanted to give it a month. This wednesday is my next appointment. Very odd that he did not ask me if I was dehydrated, or if I was taking any supplements, or if I smoked (which i do not)...

Old 10-25-2006, 04:57 PM   #14
(female)

tropic granni HB User

A recent mri showed a tumor in my femur. Due to previous cancers they said that removal of tumor and bone would be necessary... is there any kind of test that would tell what kind of cancer it is before they remove any bone. If anyone can tell me anything, it will be a blessing... thank you and God Bless

Closed Thread