It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2006, 04:45 PM   #1
(male)

xrox HB User
fast growing lump(s) in lower leg

About 1 week ago I started to feel localized intence burning pain in my lower leg muscle. It felt like a bruise or burn but I did not injure this area. About 5 days ago a lump appeared in the pain spot and grew quickly. It is no ~2cm in diameter and continues to grow. Have gone to 3 GP's who say it is either a cyst, abscess, or lipoma. No way it could be cancer they say. Well thanks to a history of very poor diagnosis and treatment by GPs I do not trust them to put it lightly. So I went to emerg and they did a needle aspiration to check for infection. No liquid came out. They said monitor for 1-2 days if it increases in size come back.

Two days ago I found a second lump in the same leg and it is also growing fast.

So questions,

Can cysts, abcess, or lipoma grow this fast (5 days)??
Can soft tissue sarcoma grow this fast??

What else could it be??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2006, 07:48 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

shnswms HB User
Re: fast growing lump(s) in lower leg

I'm not sure what that is but if it continues to grow stay on top of it. I don't think cancer can double in size in a day or two, unless it is very aggressive. Make another visit to the doctor and get it biopsied if it continues to grow. I thought it sounded like an infection.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2006, 11:58 AM   #3
(female)

dyana HB User

my daughter at age 23 (now 27) found a lump in her thigh by accident, didn't hurt or not painful but very large. She went to the ER where she was lucky enough to have an Orthopedic surgeon as the DR. He sent her for an emergency MRI the next day and was found to have a Liposarcoma which is a soft tissue cancer tumor. She had it removed in a different city and had to then follow with 35 sessions radiation. Then the next year had to have a metal rod placed into her femor bone because it was weakened by the radiation. With the surgery she also had to have the entire femor muscle removed. Not to alarm you by any means but INSIST, INSIST, INSIST!!!
It may be nothing but we thought maybe she just got bit by a spider and it turned out to be cancer. Good luck and let us know. Dyana

Old 12-18-2006, 07:51 PM   #4
(male)

xrox HB User

Update: I started taking antibiotic pills to see if it was an infection and the lumps seemed to decrease in size for two days. Then all of a sudden the right side of my knee began to hurt. It got worse and began to swell. Then the swelling progressed down my entire lower leg. I went to emerg and was in the hospital for 4 days recieving blood thinner and IV antibiotics. They did another set of x-rays and doppler ultrasound and found nothing. The IV antibiotics managed to eliminate the swelling but now the two lumps have returned and are growing again.

I'm going to go to my doctor tomorrow and insist on a biopsy.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:16 AM   #5
(male)

echidna24 HB User

I've had a soft-tissue sarcoma in my leg, but it was in my inner thigh. From my experience, it doesn't grow as fast as you're describing, and it doesn't hurt like you describe either.

Sounds like something much less sinister, but, I'd definately get it checked over! Good luck.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:53 PM   #6
(female)

Pippinkitty HB User

I had a lump on my calf this past fall. It itched and hurt, started out looking like a pimple or maybe ingrown hair. It got bigger within a couple of weeks to about the size of my thumb nail but I ignored it. I finally went to my doctor and he "shaved" it off immediately and sent it in for biopsy. It grew back in less than a week and I recieved a call saying the biopsy showed squamous cells-cancerous. I am scheduled to have it removed in a more aggressive procedure the 28th of this month. Just for info.-mine is pretty much skin toned, round and raised but flattish, and still itches. You might want to read up on it and ask your doctor to biopsy it, just to be safe. pippin

Closed Thread