It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2006, 08:09 PM   #1
(male)

Toneman HB User
Soft Tissue Mass???

Could use some information, my wife underwent an MRI last week as the Neurologist was looking for a cause to some tremors and twitching she was experiencing on her right side, initially he was looking for MS. We received a call yesterday and the Physician's Assistant that called said the found a soft tissue mass in her neck on the right side by the base of her skull. She also said they could tell it was not associated with any other structures and was probably benign. They also do not feel that it is causing her symptoms.

They have asked to see us both but not for over 2 weeks. I have a couple of questions, first is it really possible to tell if it is not malignant from an MRI? I'm sure they are only speculating based on what they see, but how accurate can they be. Also, what type of problem can a "soft tissue mass" be and is it always or almost always cancerous, what are the odds? Also, would they wait for over two weeks to see her again if it were serious?

I know these are very general questions and I'm sure there is no way to give an answer with total confidence, but we would welcome any comments, it may make the next two weeks go by a little easier.

Thanks a bunch,

Concerned in KC

Old 12-29-2006, 06:19 AM   #2
(female)

bluebell22 HB User
Re: Soft Tissue Mass???

Yes, apparently they can tell if a mass is benign or malignant from an mri. My husband had a brain scan about four years ago and a brain tumour was found and he was told straight away that it was benign. Hope this is reassuring for you but if you're anything like me then you'll worry until its removed. My husband came through the operation without any problems or pain. My husband's neurologist was not in any hurry to operate but my husband wanted the tumour removed as soon as possible and it was done within 10 days.

Good luck to you and your wife

blue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2006, 09:00 AM   #3
(female)

dyana HB User

My daughter had a liposarcoma removed from her thigh (soft tissue Malinancy tumor) and before the surgery even took place her DR. told her it was cancer. If he had a MRI with "contrast" the mass will light up and that is how they can tell most of the time. Let us know, be strong and good luck.
Dyana

Old 12-29-2006, 10:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

I do think they can usually tell alot from the mri. I had a soft tissue tumor (spindel cell sarcoma) removed from my thigh, and judging from the appearance of the mass, they were suspicious of malignancy.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:05 AM   #5
(male)

Toneman HB User

Thanks for all your input, it is very reassuring. I guess we'll just wait and hope for the best.

Hopeful in KC

Closed Thread