It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2007, 09:57 AM   #1
(male)

Ivoryz00 HB User
Question About Bone Marrow Biopsy

Hi. I have a question in regard to a bone marrow biopsy that I recently had done about 2 months ago. Fortunately, my results came back negative and everything appears to be ok with my marrow. My question is the following: does the bone marrow biopsy examine just my marrow alone, or can it detect other cancers? (Such as cancers of the pancreas, liver, etc.) I know this may sound like a very obvious question, but I just didn't know the answer. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
(female)

Merryn HB User
Re: Question About Bone Marrow Biopsy

Bone marrow aspiration/biopsy can reveal anemias, cancers such as leukemia, multiple myeloma, or Hodgkin's disease. It is also used to determine the patient's response to chemotherapy.

There are several ways to tell if a specific body organ is cancer-involved. Although no one blood test can confirm a cancer diagnosis, some malignancies do alter the chemical composition of the blood. Special lab tests detect "tumor markers". These are substances in the blood such as specific proteins,antigens,genes,hormones or enzymes that are found in the serum and indicate the possible presence of a malignancy. (Tumor markers are not 100% accurate, because benign processes can also cause elevations/changes in blood substances.) Tumor markers are useful in monitoring response to treatment or detecting a relapse.

Common Diagnostic Tests for Cancer Include:

-Acid Phosphatase
-Alkaline Phosphatase
-Bence Jones protein
-CA-15-3
-CA-19-9
-CA-125
-CEA
-PSA
-Stool ( feces ) for occult blood
-Serum Calcitonin
-CAT or CT scans
-MRI
-Ultrasound
-X-Ray studies
-Radioisotope tests ( scans )
-Endoscopy ( vizualization of a body organ or cavity through a scope)
-Cytology ( study of cells )
-Biopsy ( excision meaning taking out, a small amount of tissue to test and examine)

Hope this helps.
~Merryn~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread