It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 05:44 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User
Pancreas Mass? Lesions on Liver? Cancer?

Hello. I was wondering if it is common for someone in their 30s to end up with a pancreas mass that is NOT cancer. I am hoping that my brother's mass on his pancreas is a cyst or something... He went in for a gallbladder removal surgery & the hospital ended up finding out that it wasn't the gallbladder but the pancreas has a mass & the liver has lesions. I am scared, but still trying to be optimistic... I know it's not normal to get pancreatic cancer in your 30s.... Any information anyone might have would be greatly appreciated. Any prayers would be wonderful.

The following user gives a hug of support to hukleberrie:
restraint (06-12-2011)
Old 08-11-2007, 07:56 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User
Re: Pancreas Mass? Lesions on Liver? Cancer?

Yes, it is cancer. The biopsy of his liver lesions showed it was cancer that has spread to the liver. A large mass on the pancreas & two 2 cm masses on the liver. We were told it was inoperable, but we are hoping for more treatment options. We are ready to wisk him away to the Mayo Clinic. I don't know what else we can do. He is a strong 36 year old with a 1-year old son. This just can't be happening. And without insurance, our options are not great. I contacted the cancer treatment centers of america but they wanted 6 figures up front before they would even see him!!!

Any info on pancreatic cancer, treatment options & financial help would be greatly appreciated. Prayers appreciated!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2007, 09:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I am sorry about your brother. He is young but this cancer can occur in his age group. My best friend has pancreatic cancer also. It is a rough cancer. I don't know about the financial end of it but you have also John Hopkins Hospital which is a hospital that deals alot with pancreatic cancer. They can also advise you on clinical trials. They can also give you the organizations that are very helpful in educating you about this disease. I dont think we can name them on this board.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:01 PM   #4
(female)

Mora HB User

Where does he live? A close friend in the Tampa Florida area has lung cancer that has spread to her bones and also has no insurance. She got in touch with a cancer center called Moffet in Tampa and they helped her apply for grants that have ended up allowing all treatments at no-cost along with meds. May your brother be blessed with strength.

Old 08-12-2007, 03:21 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

We are here in Michigan.... We are told there isn't much in Michigan & since he does not have insurance, we are hoping we can get him in somewhere... Well, we are in a hospital now in Grand Rapids, MI but we were hoping for a little better cancer center or specialty cancer center. I did notice the John Hopkins last night when he was sleeping & I was online researching stuff. It looks like the 3 that we could see was Mayo Clinic, John Hopkins or the Henry Ford Hospital. Any other cancer treatment centers that you may think of... We are going to call all of them to see if they will see him without insurance.... He will be approved for Medicaid (pending) but since he is a Michigan resident, we were told that only works in Michigan. Is that true? Any insight on how to jump through these financial hurdles so we are sure we get him the best care no matter what would be so greatly appreciated!!! Please pray for us...

Old 08-12-2007, 01:13 PM   #6
(female)

eblguim HB User

you might want to look into insuline potentiated chemo (ITP). My friend was diagnosed with stage 4 uterine cancer with a 5% chance of survival with regular chemo and she opted to try this "alternative" treatment, although it is still chemo, just in smaller doses. She had 9 treatments and is in remission. Each treatment is costing about $800. I know there are treatment clinics everywhere, but she is in California and her doctor is in Oceanside.
Good luck.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:17 AM   #7
(female)

smadie HB User

Hi. I am so, so sorry you are all going through this. My mom was diagnosed in January 2003 and it has been a very difficult battle. She had her surgery,whipple 2003 and complete removal of the entire pancreas April 2007 at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, MD. MD Anderson in Texas and Johns Hopkins are supposed to be the top 2 facilities in the country for this very deadly cancer. If you do a web search for the PanCan organization, they offer lots of information for your particular situation. Wanda

Old 08-15-2007, 10:19 AM   #8
(female)

rednovember17 HB User

Hi, I can only send you my love and prayers. It is a distressing time for you all. My brother also contacted the same type of cancer he was 43 and had a young son of 3. You must be distraught, Im here in England so I dont know much about how your insurances work. But Mike had an operation called Whipples it gave him hope and a good few years of good life. However his oringinal cancer was found too late to stop the spread, But as we know all people and cancer's are so DIFFERENT. Caught in time there's a good outcome, He was offered a Medical Trial. which was not an option for him, but there well worth looking into. They are free here, and there the most upto date treatment. maybe worth looking into. God Bless you all and keep looking for stars. They do shine. XX

Old 08-15-2007, 01:58 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

He is home getting ready to go to U of M (University of Michigan) & also Mayo Clinic in MN. He was told it was stage IV, spread to his liver. They have given a new timeline of 4-6 months, but we are so much more hopeful since he is otherwise healthy. We appreciate the support & prayers – we need all we can get, so keep them coming! I will update his progress periodically...

Old 08-16-2007, 02:48 AM   #10
(female)

djagger HB User

My prayers and those of my family are with you. I, too, have pancreatic cancer but it is too advanced for surgery, as the portal vein was surrounded by the tumour. I go to a christian healing centre for prayer and met a lady there who has been healed from an inoperable cancer. It gave me much hope. We all need hope. God bless your family.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:57 AM   #11
(male)

Eddie1366 HB User

Prayers out to your brother.

PS can a 19 year old get pancreas cancer? Ive got dull pain in my gall bladder and im scared it might be the pancreas

Old 08-17-2007, 10:48 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

Anything is possible. But normally it does not affect people under age 45. My brother is an odd case of a younger person with this type of cancer.

Just get to the doctor to make sure.

Closed Thread