It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2007, 03:14 PM   #1
(female)

spp321 HB User
Huge lump under my incision site

I had an enlarged lymph node removed a week ago from my leg. I have not yet received the pathology on it. I have had a lot of swelling in that thigh and have had to spend a great deal of time on my bed with ice on the leg. The swelling has been widespread and not near the incision site, just kind of down my leg. This morning I changed the bandage and the incision looked and felt great, very clean. The stitches are coming out on Thursday. I came home from work early (desk job) as I did yesterday because my leg hurt and was swollen. I went to take the bandage off to let my skin breath, and noticed a big lump right under the incision that was not there this morning. It is not like the lump of the scar, I know how scars feel, this is a lump VERY similar to the one they took out but it is bigger and not as deep. Could it be another node? Has anyone had this experience?

Old 08-21-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: Huge lump under my incision site

Hello ssp

Honey, I don't have any idea at all what that lump could be. Please don't wait until Thursady... go see the doctor tomorrow and let him look, okay? Not something to mess around with.

The swelling going down the leg... this I understand. get that leg elevated as much as possible. I don't mean elevated as up on a pillow, I mean ELEVATED as in up over the head. All that fluid from the swelling naturally goes down simply because of gravity. Get it way up. Know how I do this? I lay backwards on my bed and prop my leg up on the wall. Like Mork from Ork.... ever see that old show Mork and Mindy? Mork was an alien and this is how he slept. Mork was played by Robin Williams. Now whoever thought Robin Wiliams would end up being an inspiration to me after a surgery??? Chuckles.

Get that leg way up and in the morning, first thing, call the doctor! Let us know what happens at the doctor's office.
Hugs
reachout

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2007, 07:11 PM   #3
(female)

spp321 HB User

Thanks, Reachout, I'll call them first thing tomorrow and let you know. And yes, I remember Mork and Mindy very well. I was in high school when that show was on. And who would have thought back then that Robin Williams would turn into the mega-star that he has. Thanks again, I'll go put my leg up in the air now.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:57 PM   #4
(female)

kalsmom HB User

Well girl, I'm so sorry to hear you are having problems....I'm with reach...go tomorrow. I'm telling YOU no more taking chances with any lumps in my life! I can sure see in your shoes why any lump would worry you and it does me too!

ps....na new na new....peace out.

pss...mork and mindy fan here Update us pronto tomorrow!

Old 08-22-2007, 08:26 AM   #5
(female)

spp321 HB User

I called this morning and see him at 12:45 (eastern standard time), which is like an hour from now. I'll post when I get home.

Kalsmom, I'm so sorry that this wait has been causing you so much frustration and upset, but I certainly think you are justified in feeling that way. Oh my, I can't even imagine. I didn't even ask the nurse when we spoke today whether or not my pathology is back. I guess I'll see when I get in there.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:48 PM   #6
(female)

maleahgc HB User

The EXACT same thing just happened to me. I had lymph nodes removed on the left side of my groin on the 17th of August. I did not experience the extent of pain, etc. going down my leg, nor did I have to keep it elevated, but I now have a painful lump about the size of a large walnut or very large pecan right under the incision site where they removed the lymph nodes. It is very sore. I am a fairly thin person and this lump is clearly visible just to look at the site, it is very firm and hard to the touch. My leg below the site is sore and feels much like a bruise. The good news is my pathology was clear. I am guessing this is scar tissue of some kind, but am going to call my surgeon's office tomorrow.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello Maleahgc

So glad to hear that the biopsy was clear. Godd news, indeed, Friend.

Ummm.. that lump below the incision. I think it is a little early for scar tissue to be a painful amount yet. It well may be an accumulation of fluid from the trauma of the surgery to the site. After the removal of half my thigh because of cancer, I had a lot of pain below the bottom most part of the incision. It was definitely swollen and the whole area was hard to the touch...looked and felt like an overstuffed sausage. It was fluid and it was because of the surgery... lymph nodes were taken a well as muscle during surgery and because of the missing lymph nodes, the swelling fluids had a difficult time passing through to drain out through the remaining lymph system there. I still have issues with lymphedema swelling over ten years later!

I think that you will not have as much problem once the fluids are able to finally drain away. I would try and keep the area iced and elevated to help the process along. And yes, I would definiately let the surgeon check it out on the chance that an infection had cropped up at the surgical site.

Let us all know.
Peace
reach

Old 08-27-2007, 10:27 AM   #8
(female)

spp321 HB User

The surgeon took the stitches out last Wednesday. He said that when he removed the node, he had to tie off the drains and sometimes one might pop open a bit and fluid will accumulate but that it was not unusual and should resolve itself. By Saturday the lump under the incision had grown much bigger and stood out a lot. I then noticed the incision scar was wider than it had been. I woke up Sunday morning soaking wet, like I had wet the bed. The incision opened and it has been draining copiously for 36 hours. I have a maxi pad strapped to my leg and I am changing it every few hours. I called my surgeon and he is out for the week. They said they could reach him if necessary, but I am seeing my primary care doc this afternoon anyway, so decided with them that i will show her and see if she thinks I need to see him right away. Oh my! It is quite unnerving.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:45 PM   #9
(female)

spp321 HB User

Here's a bit of levity. I showed the draining incision to my primary care doctor and when she touched it, it sprayed a geyser of fluid all over her. I mean the stream was as big around as your thumb and got her smack in the face and ran all down the front of her. I was trying not to laugh, honestly, and it was thankfully just clear fluid. She kept apologizing to me and I said, "why are you apologizing to me? I'm the one that just gave you a shower in an unidentified bodily fluid!" This leg has taken on a life of its own, I swear. I feel like I'm in the movie "The Alien." After she washed her face, she told me that it's not infected but she has no idea what the fluid is or how to get it to stop running out of me. She suggested I call the surgeon again. I did, and I'm waiting for a nurse to call me back. Anyway, just thought I'd share because I thought it was really pretty funny.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:13 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi ssp

Funny story... funny doctor, too... many would be upset with a gush of anyone else's body fluids in the face. I would be for sure! Not mad, but don't know if I could ever find the grace to apologize to the patient! Chuckles. However, if I were in your poistion, I also would not have had the grace not to burst out laughing. Hahahaha!

Youi know, I think that might have actually been acumulated lymphatic fluid that burst out. The body must rush, just rush, all kinds of fluid to the "trauma" site where the surgery was performed. The fluids pool without really great functioning lymph nodes or, as for us, when a lymph node or ten are missing.

It is still curious why the node swelled so... guess just an offbeat infection.

Keep us updated.
reachout

Old 08-28-2007, 05:19 AM   #11
(female)

spp321 HB User

I think the incision site is infected, darn it! I spoke with the surgeon's office last night and they were quite concerned with the quantity of drainage and will call me first thing this morning and get me seen by the surgeon on call. Meanwhile, I woke in TERRIBLE pain, I mean 'I need narcotics' pain and feel very, very flu-like. Argh! I'm trying to stay jovial, but it isn't easy.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:39 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi

Bummer. Sorry to hear this news. Are you gooing to be able to see a surgeon who is on call while your guy is away? Really sounds necessary. Some warm compresses will help to draw out any infection until you se someone, but sure sounds like an antibiotic might be needed.

keep us posted
reach

Old 08-28-2007, 07:39 PM   #13
(female)

maleahgc HB User

Spp, It just so happens that I do have hypothyroidism. I have for over 14 years. It is under control and my blood TSH levels are good right now. I take Synthroid. But dang, this is a bad place to mess with a body. I do not think mine is not infected, but it is still so SORE down to my mid thigh and up to my hip point. No swelling except for I still have the very hard knot under the incision. I see the surgeon again on Thursday and will inquire about it all.

Reach, Thank you for the advice and information regarding the lymph nodes and fluid. It makes sense to me and I had already wondered where the fluid would go without a node there anymore. Cheers to you, too, for kicking cancer in the butt for over 10 years!

And, yes, I'm thrilled with my clear report.

Regards,
M

Last edited by maleahgc; 08-28-2007 at 07:50 PM.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:37 PM   #14
(female)

spp321 HB User

I saw the surgeon on call and he did a culture and put me on antibiotics. The culture came back with two organisms present. I see my own surgeon tomorrow for follow up. It still hurts a lot, but the fever has broken so I feel better in that regard, and the copious lymph fluid drainage has stopped. So, I'm on the mend.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:44 AM   #15
(male)

boyandhisdog HB User

I had a lymph node removed from my arm and now have the walnut/pecan lodged under the incision site that has been mentioned above. Has anyone gotten a determination of what the heck is going on? I am trying to get back in to see my surgeon but I am kind of nutty worrying about it now.
Thanks!

Closed Thread