It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2007, 05:06 AM   #1
(female)

Sallyx HB User
Can an MRI miss a pancreatic tumor?

My father's Dr. thought he had a pancreatic tumor because he has many symptoms of pancreatice cancer. The MRI showed nothing. We waited for a few weeks for another test but in the meantime he has been admitted to the hospital for severe ascites of the abdomen. Now they are questining the results of the MRI.
A colonoscopy and gastrocopy has ruled out tumors there as well.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:28 AM   #2
(female)

smadie HB User
Re: Can an MRI miss a pancreatic tumor?

Yes an MRI can miss it, so can a CT Scan. My mom's pancreatic tumor was detected by an ERCP. Pancreatic cancer is very difficult to detect.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2007, 10:44 AM   #3
(female)

Sallyx HB User

Hi, thanks for your reply. Did you mother have an MRI first before the ERCP? I'm not sure what an ERCP is? Where on the pancreas was her tumor and how is your mother doing?

Old 08-22-2007, 09:26 PM   #4
(female)

kalsmom HB User

Just wanted to say hi and welcome...not the best place to be welcomed TO....but there are great ppl on this board! I don't know anything about PC...but just wanted to offer prayer and ask you to let us know how the story goes! I will pray for the very best outcome for your family!

Old 08-23-2007, 06:06 AM   #5
(female)

smadie HB User

Yes my mom had both an MRI and a CT Scan before the ERCP. She was in the hospital for a total of 21 days before she was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer in 2004. Her tumor was in the head of the pancreas. She had the "whipple" performed at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, MD by one of the top surgeons for this in the country. An ERCP is a procedure that they do where they put a scope down through your mouth into the stomach etc. My mom did around 6 months of chemo after she recovered from the surgery. Unfortunately her cancer returned in the body and tail of the pancreas this past April. She had her entire pancreas removed which made her instantly a complete diabetic. She has choosen no more chemo or radiation. She is 76 years old and wants to enjoy what time she has left. Unfortunately the 3 year survival rate for pancreatic cancer is under 5%. She has beaten the odds but it has been a very difficult battle. This type of cancer is so difficult to diagnose that it is usually to late once it is. I pray this isn't what is going on with your father. Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, MD and MD Anderson in Texas are the top 2 places for this type of cancer.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:32 AM   #6
(female)

Sallyx HB User

Thank you so much for posting your information. This is so scary and I feel so alone. We still don't know where the cancer is, I never knew it could be so complicated. They are still suspecting the pancreas. They drained 5 litres of fluid from his abdomen yesterday and couldn't do any further tests just then. I am praying like I've never prayed before that this is not pancreatic cancer but things seem to be pointing in that direction. I will keep your mother in my prayers, this is never an easy thing and not fair to anyone.
My father is only 57 and I want my future children to know who their grandfather is.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:10 AM   #7
(female)

dippylips HB User

hello ...last thursday, my mum was diagnosed with advanced cancer of the pancreas and secondaries in her liver Today she had a stent put in place through ercp. I have been told mum is too frail for surgery ( shes 84 ) and that she will only be having palliative care. The doctor say think in terms of weeks and months in terms of survival, but seems particularly cagey about mum coming home. I 'm terrifired that she''l die very soon. Also I'd appreciate if anyone could tell me if the the fact that mums bile will flow freely again ( thanks to the stent) will clear up some of the mild confusion she seems to be experiencing intermittently. many thanks to all out there who have and may take time to reply .o my postings. I am so very grateful to you all for sparing me your time

Old 08-24-2007, 09:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

My best friend has stage IV pancreatic cancer. She was feeling fatigued, had back pain and was told she was developing diabetes. She wasn't eating much, her stomach was hurting. She had a cat scan that indicated something and cancer was suspected. MRI showed it. She then had a pet scan, (I think that is what it is called) and that definitely confirmed it.

Closed Thread