It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2007, 09:36 AM   #1
(male)

Herewego71600 HB User
Re: lump under my jaw

I called the doctor a few weeks ago and described the lump top her. She said it did not sound the least bit malignant and not to worry. She was not going to have me come in, but once I informed her that I already made an appointment with her receptionist, she said she would take a look at the lump when I came in.

I went to the doctor yesterday. At first, she could not feel the lump, but I was able to have her feel it when I moved it to the outside of my jaw. She said that nothing that stays the same size for two years and that can move about so freely is cancer. She said it is probably a calcification or a Lipoma. As I am a hyperchondriac (not overexaggerating), I protested that I should have tests done. She responded that she is 100% confident that it is nothing dangerous and that no tests are necessary.

I am happy for the positive report, but I am considering getting a second opinion/ forcing someone to do a needle biopsy and/or an MRI. I am not sure yet. Maybe I should just trust the proessional and move on?

Old 09-21-2007, 11:28 AM   #2
(male)

Herewego71600 HB User
Re: lump under my jaw

OK, so I decided to get a second opinion to be sure. I made an appointment with a world reknowned ENT doctor that specializes in tumors of the neck and salivary glands. At first he could not feel the lump, but then I moved it to the outside of my jaw and he could feel it. He said that it felt like a lymph node that was borderline enlarged. He said that it was probably chronically enlarged because of my bad teeth problems. He said that there was a slight chance it could be a parotid tumor, but given that the lump had not grown for two years, it was most likely benign f it was a tumor. Still, he believes it is just an enlarged lymph node.

So, the Doc. scheduled me for a ultrasound of my neck which I had today. The technician looked all around and did not find anything suspicious. All she found was a solitary borderline enlarged lymph node under my jaw. She said I have a lymph node in the exact same spot on the other side of my that is not enlarged.

So, I am glad to know that it is a lymph node. The results will go to my ENT by Tuesday. Given the findings as related by the technician, I am not sure if the Dr. will do a FNA. Either way, I'm feeling a lot better as far as my nerves are concerned.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread