It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2008, 02:29 AM   #1
(male)

sallystruthers HB User
Oral Worries

Before any of this, I'll put it out there that I used smokeless tobacco for about 3 years prior to quitting about a month ago. I'm a 23 year old male who also suffers from diabetes.

I quit because I was getting paranoid about cancer worries, and now it's carried over into some noticable signs.

The skin on the inside of my bottom lip was loose and would shed, though has been slowly building back to normal as of late. I checked my tongue, and on the left side there is a white ring smaller than the size of a dime, with no noticable redness around or in the ring. When I brushed the ring, it bled decently easily. There are two additional rings much smaller than the first.

There are a few tiny little purple/black dots on my bottom lip, smaller than a pinhead. I think they're blisters or cuts from my bad habit of biting my lip, but I can't be sure.

Also, the right side of my jaw has been very stiff and slightly painful from time to time. It will pop out of place when I open my mouth very wide and afterwards will make a semi-grinding sound when I open it wide thereafter. Problem occurs right below the ear.

My teeth are beginning to turn brown a bit by the bottom, near the gums, and when I floss the floss gets stuck and shreds.

If anyone can give me any advice (other than seeing the doctor, I'm setting up a dentist appointment tomorrow) I would greatly appreciate it. Any ideas of what my problems could be or if I'm over-reacting over nothing would be highly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2008, 08:11 AM   #2
(female)

chelle1980 HB User
Cool Re: Oral Worries

well your dentist is your best bet, as a doctor would probably only tell you to go there anyhow, lol.

it may be that you just have a gum infection of some kind. but as u and i know there is only 1 person to be sure of that. i am sure you will be fine, and you are over anxious and worried, then as i know all too well, everything seems worse, lol.

as for teeth going brown, this can happen for many different reasons

tea
coffee
red wine
certain foods
medication
smoking etc, etc

talk everything over tomorrow, and i am sure you will go home with a big weight off your shoulders

keep me updated.

sorry ive not gave any real causes, but i hope its helped slightly

Old 05-29-2008, 08:31 AM   #3
(male)

chiefan58 HB User
Re: Oral Worries

I've been chewing for about 17 years. The gum wearing down is no doubt due to chewing as is the skin on the inside of the lip. I haven't ever noticed any rings. The dentist can do a test very easily and it isn't very expensive. If you have insurance, they usually cover it all. It's just a swab with what looks like a mini toilet brush. Doesn't hurt, and then you'll know for sure. Good luck.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
(male)

sallystruthers HB User
Re: Oral Worries

Just got back from the dentist.

Said everything was fine, had a little plaque buildup, but that was the least of my worries, wasn't it?

Said the sore on my tongue was a meager canker sore, and should be gone inside of a week. I have to keep an eye on it so that it doesn't get worse or persist over a 2 week period, but as of now, everything seems to be ok.

Thanks for the support, all!

Old 05-30-2008, 01:21 AM   #5
(female)

chelle1980 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Oral Worries

Glad everything went well for you. thats great news. It's only natural you end up thinking of worst case scenarios, but now, put it all behind you.

at least it is a deterrent to start the tobacco again!!! you should be very proud in quitting, well done

take care

Closed Thread