It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
(female)

elenita1 HB User
Newly diagnosed--seeking support and friendship--mother of young children

I am newly diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma (non-small cell) of lung origin with metastasis to the brain, liver, and bones (especially hips).

My hips have been bothering me for a couple of months and I have been seeing doctors, orthopaedists, physical therapists. And then about a week and half ago I had a seizure and that is how they found the metastases.

Current treatment: I am at St. John's in Santa Monica, CA. I have had 4 brain radiation treatments and 1 hip radiation treatment. The decision on my hips is to treat the right hip only right now. There is a fairly large lesion in the right femur at the top and there has been fear of me breaking my hip.

As far as the left hip, I am not currently in pain. That hip is riddled with cancer. It's all up in the ball joint and all over. But no one will let me walk or be on it, so it is feeling ok. We are trying to save the bone marrow there for later. And at some point I will probably require a complete hip replacement?

Next plan is a chemo blast. The only thing holding us up from starting is that we are trying to get in to someone at our local UCLA or City of Hope for a 2nd opinion. Because it is a fast moving cancer, chemo should be effective and quick on the parts of my body that aren't being radiated--once we start.

I am a mother of two very young children (1 and 2 1/2). I have good support at home. My sister is here helping for the time being and she is working on finding me full-time help. My husband is wonderful and he owns a successful business.

I am specifically looking for support from other mothers of young children. I can't believe that this is happening to me and to my family. I know I must not be alone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2009, 06:40 AM   #2
(female)

lilsis1071 HB User
Re: Newly diagnosed--seeking support and friendship--mother of young children

Elenita,

Let me say I am so sorry you are going through this. I know it must be very hard with having children so young. I do not know much about the type of cancer you have, I just wanted to let you know I am thinking about you and your family. My prayers are with you.

Please know that you have support here.

A Friend Wendy

Old 10-02-2009, 06:21 AM   #3
(female)

Abigailtwo HB User
Re: Newly diagnosed--seeking support and friendship--mother of young children

I am also a Mom of two young children, age 4 and 5, girl and boy. I have recently been diagnosed with Uterine Cancer, Stage 1C grade 2. I just had a complete hysterectomy Sept. 23rd, so am healing from that. Soon I will start radiation treatments at Hoag in Orange County. It's been very hard on the children though they are so very sweet. I went from being able to do everything with them to getting so tired and not being able to do much of anything with them right now. They can't get close to my stomach right now because it's healing and I can't lift them either. It's just hard when your kids are so young. I am hoping with radiation I will be okay. I have other tissue results that aren't in yet, for a possible other low grade cancer. It may be nothing, but Dr. isn't sure until results come back from Boston. I too can't believe cancer is in my body and that we are having to deal with it as a family. Just crazy. The kids were scared for me when I went to the hospital for the surgery. I sleep a lot, but try to do quiet actviities with them like reading books, talking about school, lots of hugs and I brush my daughter's hair while she talks to me. I do what I can to stay close and in touch with them both. I'm in Orange County, Ca. I used to live in Santa Monica and sometimes miss it. Thanks for your sharing.

Closed Thread