It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
(female)

Marie Delores HB User
Squamous Cell Carcinoma Groin Lymph node CUP

I was recently diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma CUP of the groin lymph nodes. I know this is a rare type of cancer, but wondering if anyone has/had this type of cancer and can tell me what their experience has been.

DLink

Old 10-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Squamous Cell Carcinoma Groin Lymph node CUP

Hi Marie Delores,

I had CUP in the left groin lymph nodes back in 2001. It was poorly differentiated, but had similarities to both squamous and small cell cancer, so I was treated with chemotherapies that worked for both of those types.

After surgery, I had 4 treatments of a combination of carboplatin and taxol, followed by 25 radiation treatments to the area. I finished all treatment 8 years ago this month and, to date, have been cancer-free...at least from that one. I developed a bladder tumor, totally unrelated, in 2005, but it was removed and so far no recurrence of that, either.

So there is life after cancer. The taxol/carboplatin chemotherapy combination can be difficult...mostly bad side effects from the taxol, but it's do-able, and works very well for squamous cell cancer.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
(female)

destiny dawn HB Userdestiny dawn HB User

marie dalores
i know you are looking for support from people who can help you know what to expect. But i haven't got as far as a diagnosis and was hoping you could do something similar for me.
i am having a large mass in my groin biopsied and am so lost about how it got there, and what it could be. can you explain how you discovered CUP? i have a few enlarged nodes on either side and a single very hard large fixed mass attached to something in my right inner thigh very close to my groin. that big guy has been there a long while, about 9 months. the others i've noticed over the last couple of months.

could you share your story? i feel like everyone who complains of swollen nodes seems to be dealing with an ingrown hair or stubbed toe. my lump is as big as a golf ball and has been growing a long time! have you found anywhere online to read other peoples stories of going through the surgery and diagnosis of inguinal masses?

Old 11-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Hi Destiny,

Had you ever had these lumps looked at by a doctor before now? It sounds as if you have some sort of tumor. Unfortunately, until it is biopsied, you won't know what exactly you're dealing with.

The good news is that the lumps in the groin frequently turn out to be squamous cell tumors, and they are highly treatable.

When are you scheduled for the biopsy?

Ruth

Old 11-07-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
(female)

thanks for replying, SamQkitty
i am having it taken out on the 19th. so, about 2 weeks time. I'm worried because I have also had a crazy trip with anxiety over this last year and wonder about all the symptoms I've left unchecked, thinking they were anxiety-related (chest pain, cramps, sore muscles)
I had a doctor check the node about 5 months ago when it was still somewhat soft and not really fixed, and he told me I must have bumped my knee or stubbed my toe and not noticed :S figures.
i am glad though that there are people like yourselves who are sharing your experiences, because up till now, i've felt completely isolated and many of my friends/family don't understand that a lump as hard and fixed as mine can really only mean a tumor of some sort. so they just keep saying "it'll turn out to be nothig. stop worrying, you always worry". easier said than done!

Old 11-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Some doctors! Why on earth would bumping your knee or stubbing your toe cause a lump in your groin??? That doctor should have, at the very least, asked you to come back within a few weeks to see if it was improving or not. I am so sorry this happened, because it has caused a major delay in taking care of this. I'm also wondering why the delay for the surgery? Although if you only just contacted the surgeon, I guess two weeks really isn't that long. Agonizing mentally, though, to have to wait so long.

Having said that, please let me reassure you that even if it does turn out to be cancerous, it's highly likely that it will be treatable. Cancer treatment certainly isn't a whole bundle of fun, lol, but it's bearable, and there often is light at the end of that tunnel.

Please keep me posted...I'll be thinking of you and praying for a good outcome for you.

Ruth

Old 11-07-2009, 02:49 PM   #7
(female)

ruth,
well his theory was that i had an injury which was causing my lymph nodes to work harder to fix it... and he never did mention that it should be followed up and at the time, cancer or anything serious at all hadn't even occurred to me. it was a couple of months later that i realized it was still there and had gotten larger. i live in a town notorious for sub-par healthcare and 2 weeks is actually quite soon to get in. i asked my doctor last week to move me to a different surgeon but he said it'd likely still take two weeks to set that all into place. this surgeon who i am waiting on is on holidays this week! the nerve! lol. it will be a week more before the results are obtained since our hospital has to send away biopsies which delays diagnosis. so really, until the 29th, i'll be a worried mess! i have three young children and it's not easy to keep a gameface on for them!
in any case i truly appreciate you taking the time to write a few words, it's nice to read anything i can relate to or take hope from while i try to pass the days. i'll tell you one thing: i've never been such a clean freak as i am these last few days, trying to stay busy!
-destiny

Old 11-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, I totally understand the frustration of waiting. Sometimes I think waiting for an answer is almost worse than having the answer be not a good one.

Are you in the UK by any chance? I just noticed that you referred to the surgeon as being "on holidays" which sounds like UK speak, lol. I don't think that two weeks is a long wait, if you had just gone back to the doctor last week.

Anyway, I will keep you in mind when I send up prayers at night, Destiny. I hope that whatever this is, it turns out to be fairly easily treatable. Good luck, and do stay in touch through the board.

Ruth

Old 11-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #9
(female)

haha i am canadian. i'll be back when the surgery is done

Old 11-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aha...should've guess Canadian, lol. I'll watch for your posts after surgery, but if you need support, feel free to come back between now and then, too. Believe me, having gone through this twice (two completely different types of cancer) I truly understand how nervewracking this can be.

Ruth

Old 11-08-2009, 04:42 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Hello, I have had Squamous Cell grade 3 in Vulvar area which can metast to groin area easily....... I have also had SCC and BCC on face, left arm and hand and chest.. Mine has been taken care of with surgery and I have close monthly follow up every 1 to 3 months. I am seen by a OncGyne and OncDermatologist at MD Anderson Cancer Center is Houston.

Good luck and let us know how you do........... Oleander

Old 11-09-2009, 09:56 AM   #12
(female)

oleander,
how were you diagnosed with the vulvar squamous cell? it's funny.. i have two nodule type bumps in that area but when i had them checked months ago the doc said they were nothing to be concerned about. maybe i should mention them again?

-destiny

Old 02-04-2010, 06:16 AM   #13
(female)

Coryad HB User

Hi Oleander,
I've never run across anyone else who had vulvar scc... I was diagnosed Aug 09. I had 37 radiation treatments and 6 weeks of chemo simultaneously. No spread so that was a blessing.... they kept telling me how rare this was, but easily treatable. Not sure that it was "easy" on me LOL! But I'm cancer free as of now so it was worth it!

Cory

Old 02-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #14
(female)

lupesmom HB User
Smile Re: Squamous Cell Carcinoma Groin Lymph node CUP

I have the same thing. I was diagnosed last year, I thought a spider or something bit me. I had a swelling (it looked like it dropped) of my right vulvar. Four months later my right leg swelled up. The surgeon who did the biopsy, and the gyn who took out my IUD while I was out, said it wasn't that. I went to another gyn who found nothing, so I was dx with cup. I'm almost in remission from the chemo. So hang in there

Old 02-26-2010, 09:50 AM   #15
(female)

Marie Delores HB User

Glad to hear you are in remission. How many Chemo treatments did you receive? I had 7 weeks of Chemo and Radiation in November and Dec. Then started a 2nd round of Chemo in January. This second round is Chemo every 3 weeks for a total of 6 treatments.

Closed Thread