It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
(male)

loveyoudad HB User
Does Sorafenib really cure Advance Cancer?

Sorafenib (Nexavar, Bayer), is a drug approved for the treatment of primary kidney cancer (advanced renal cell carcinoma) and advanced primary liver cancer (hepatocellular carcinoma).

Does anyone know if this works and if so how effective is it? Are there any risks?

My father has advance liver cancer, doctors say there is no treatment for him, so I decided to do my own research and I came upon Sorafenib. If anyone has tried this or know any real cases please update me.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
(female)

microsue HB User
Re: Does Sorafenib really cure Advance Cancer?

How is your dad? My husband has been on nexavar for 3 months. His tumor has slowed down or stopped growing, we will know more at the next MRI. His liver tumor is 20cm. So far he is responding well, with little or no side effects.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
(male)

loveyoudad HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by microsue View Post
How is your dad? My husband has been on nexavar for 3 months. His tumor has slowed down or stopped growing, we will know more at the next MRI. His liver tumor is 20cm. So far he is responding well, with little or no side effects.
WOW that is really good news... My Dad past away in December within 3 months of being diagnoised... The NHS in London, never allowed my Dad to be on Nexavar they said it wouldnt help him and maybe make him suffer more, also the Government said they would stop providing this sort of help. At the time we did not know what to do but if anything worked we would try, so we tried to get it privately by paying but we had to get permission from a Doctor but it took so long for them reply and they kept saying my Dad had to be healthy, I was very angry with them, they just took long in doing everything... I hope it all goes well for your Husband, please keep us posted so that people who reads this will know more about it, the problem I had was getting information from people who really tried it and let us know exactly what happens... wish you Husband all the best.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
(female)

parrish77 HB User

My mom has also just been diagnosed with advanced liver cancer with no treatment available (last week). Her oncologist has prescribed Lexavar and we are waiting for it to arrive....I will warn you, the cost is astronomical....$7000/mo, but there is help available to cover the cost. I can post you once she starts and let you know how it progresses if that would be helpful. Sandy

Old 05-11-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
(male)

loveyoudad HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrish77 View Post
My mom has also just been diagnosed with advanced liver cancer with no treatment available (last week). Her oncologist has prescribed Lexavar and we are waiting for it to arrive....I will warn you, the cost is astronomical....$7000/mo, but there is help available to cover the cost. I can post you once she starts and let you know how it progresses if that would be helpful. Sandy
Yes you should let us know or update us on how it goes, my unfortunetly my dad never got the treatment the doctors said that even if he had it it would of made him worse, they put me and my family is a position to think do want that to happen to him, and just let him enjoy his last days, altho we wanted to try it they didnt give it to us, to me i think it was all about the money... i cant see how much he would of suffered with or without it, altho he had no treatment he was always feeling sick, couldnt eat, weak, anyways, and these were the symtons that the drug treatment would of provided... i really wish he did have it, if it meant a month he lived longer it would of mean so much... even for the price. If you could update us on your mums situation it would help others to decide...

Old 05-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
(male)

loveyoudad HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by microsue View Post
How is you Dad doing now?

Old 05-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #7
(female)

microsue HB User

I am so sorry to hear about your dad. Liver cancer is just a horrible disease. It has been 5 months now that my husband has been on the nexavar. He continues to deteriorate - losing weight, weak, tired, nausea, vomiting, - there have been good and bad days. I don't know if it is the liver cancer or side effects from the nexavar. He stopped taking it last week as he could no longer keep anything down. The latest scan shows the liver tumor to be the same as before, but it appears the cancer might have metasized to his lungs. This is so difficult to watch, I feel so powerless.

We do our best to take advantage of the good days, they are getting few and fewer.
Best wishes

Old 10-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
(female)

adlagace HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveyoudad View Post
Sorafenib (Nexavar, Bayer), is a drug approved for the treatment of primary kidney cancer (advanced renal cell carcinoma) and advanced primary liver cancer (hepatocellular carcinoma).

Does anyone know if this works and if so how effective is it? Are there any risks?

My father has advance liver cancer, doctors say there is no treatment for him, so I decided to do my own research and I came upon Sorafenib. If anyone has tried this or know any real cases please update me.
Hi,

My dad has been using it for over 18 months and has helped drastically reduce his tumours in his liver (he also has hepatocellular carcinoma). It is NOT curative, it will only prolong life for years for some, months for other. It really just depends how the body respond and once it stops responding there isn't really much else at that point. It is suppose to be used and supposed to be more effective while also using dose of Chemo (Doxirubicin -not sure of the spelling but that is a specific type of chemo and according to his Drsand the studies they have it has to be that kind). My father tried doing both and it was too much for him so is now only on the Nexavar (Sorafenib). They can reduce the dosage of that particular type of chemo if it is too strong.

Nexavar is very strong and can cause lots opf side effects such as cramping, diarrhea, rashes, etc but not everyone gets them. You can do 4 pills a day or down to only one. My father had to adjust to only one if his platelets went down and then go back up to more a day when his platelets recovered. It is a balancing game but it can work. He has been stable for quite some time and was given 6-12 mths Feb 2009 and he is still here. Unfotunately, he is not doing great now but we are hoping it is simply another down in the roller coaster that this cancer has put us on and that he will go back up and start to enjoy his life a little bit again. He was golfing 2-3 games/week this summer so it definitely can give quality of life if the side effects aren't too bad. It is different for everyone.

If his stomach starts to bloat and gets short of breath, sometimes with liver cancer, there is ascites that build up sorrounding the liver and that can be managed as well. My father had a permanent catheter put in a year ago and has it drained at home by a nurse twice a week.

Has he tried Chemoembolization or radio frequency ablation for his tumours because those can help as well.

If you have any questions please feel free to send me something and maybe I can help. I felt pretty lost when it all came down to the Dr telling us about time he had left and if I can help you in any way I would be happy to. Good luck.

The following user gives a hug of support to adlagace:
Family 1st (07-29-2011)
Old 10-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #9
(female)

adlagace HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveyoudad View Post

I am new to this site and didn't look at the dates on the post nor really understood exactly who was writing back and forth....Sorry.

I am very sorry for your loss and once again I am sorry about responding. Just thought I could pass on some information.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:35 AM   #10
(male)

Family 1st HB User

My father just diagnosed of liver cancer and he just start on treatment of nexavar for 2 week! he got the s/e like fatigue dizziness... hopefully he can cope wit it!! i just wanna to know how well is the medicine work?

Old 11-06-2011, 06:12 AM   #11
(female)

Marjirose HB User

How is your husband doing now?

Old 11-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #12
(female)

microsue HB User

oh, my husband passed away August 8, 2010. He started taking the nexavar mid Dec. 2009 and stopped in May or June. At this point the doctor told him there was nothing else they could do for him. He had lost over 80-90 lbs, could not keep food down and was simply wasting away. The tumor had stopped growing, but it really did nothing for his quality of life. It might have prolonged it some, but towards the end he said he wished he had not taken it. Hospice was great, they made it their goal to bring quality and comfort to him in his last few months. Thank you for asking. I hope you are doing well.

Closed Thread