It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
KatieKatie

20 years old and lung cancer

Hy all,

i was 20 when i was diagnosed lung cancer (now i'm 21). To be specific, it was a carcinoid tumor. It was a malign tumor, but slow growing.

I underwent a lobectomy from my right lower lung and i am cancerfree now. (a little bit spread to the lymph nodes, but they were removed too)

the thing is, i don't really have people to talk to and i dont know how to handle it, that i had this disease. Because i didn't have chemo and all it feels for me like i had "half-cancer" or "not-real-cancer".

I still get very emotional when i read about other people's stories or see something cancer-related on television.
I just want to know if i'm not overreacting? and that i can still cry about it, even though it has been one year ago.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
(female)

kafish67 HB User
Re: 20 years old and lung cancer

Hi Katie,
Don't sell yourself short. Cancer is cancer anyway you look at it and it certainily can take an emotional toll on someone, let alone the physical. Cry all you want, vent, talk to someone close, or find a support group that is particular to your type of cancer(check at your hospital). It's important that you work through these emotional issues. It has been 7 years since my diagnosis and I still cry at the thought of cancer. It's normal. It's almost as if we have a post traumatic type of stress. No one really understands unless they go through the ordeal that we have. You are so young to experience such a thing but you are still here to talk about it, so be proud of that. Hope this helps you. Take care of yourself and best wishes for a happy and healthy future.

Kelley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
KatieKatie

Hy Kelley!

Thank you for your response. It already helps me so much to hear that it's not a bad thing to still cry about it after one year. Sometimes i am scared that people get enough from me, because i still cry about it.

I also wish you a happy future and the best health!

Old 01-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
(female)

shar621 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKatie View Post
Hy all,

i was 20 when i was diagnosed lung cancer (now i'm 21). To be specific, it was a carcinoid tumor. It was a malign tumor, but slow growing.

I underwent a lobectomy from my right lower lung and i am cancerfree now. (a little bit spread to the lymph nodes, but they were removed too)

the thing is, i don't really have people to talk to and i dont know how to handle it, that i had this disease. Because i didn't have chemo and all it feels for me like i had "half-cancer" or "not-real-cancer".

I still get very emotional when i read about other people's stories or see something cancer-related on television.
I just want to know if i'm not overreacting? and that i can still cry about it, even though it has been one year ago.
You would not be consider normal if you did not get emotional. This that happen probably gave you a new insight on life and not taking it for granted. People your age think they should smoke, drink heavy or even take drugs and think health problems would not affect them because they are young and naive. You had real cancer-cancer that could have kill you don't forget that. I am glad to hear you are well and look at things more positive but most importantly always talk to someone it is very therapeutic.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
(female)

Pfretzsch HB User

There is a national group for carcinoid tumors and a number of local groups as well. Try searching the Internet for them.

Carcinoid is an unusual cancer. My mother is an 18-year survivor (her carcinoid started in the small bowels and spread to her liver). Her only treatment was surgery.

Good luck.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
(female)

aawaltrip HB User

hi,
my husband has been coughing up blood, for about 6 months, maybe longer, smokes for 40 years, and is real sweaty at night, he has a continuing cough, and has unexplained back pain, am worried these are early warning signs of cancer, an er doctor told me t hey were, but now he says he isnt coughing up blood anymore, but think he is telling me that so I will not worry, he still smokes 2 packs a day and will not quit, maybe we can share what you know, thnak you, and am going to be praying for you, am so glad everything was removed and you are on the road to healing!!! teresa

Old 04-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
(female)

aawaltrip HB User

hi,
my name is teresa, my husband is 58 and has been smoking for 40 plus years. He smokes 2 packs a day and has been coughing up blood for about 6 months, he told it has stopped, but i think he is just telling me that to make me feel better and not worry, he also has unexplained back pain for a year, and takes motrin daily, he is very sweaty at night, and drinks 2 pots a coffee a day, hard to make him drink water. he is very thin, but lately, has lost weight to where his clothes fal off, maybe we can share your symptoms, and your story, I WOULD BE SO GRATEFUL, HE IS LIVING IN DENIAL, AND CANNO COPE, SO I HAVE TO FOR ME AND THE KIDS, THANK YOU AND I WILL PRAY FOR YOU, GOD BLESS, TERESA

Closed Thread