It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
(female)

Lizardwoman85 HB User
Question Can cancer cause weight loss?

Hi there, I've been sick for a long time and one of the possibilities with the appearance of a large mass in my side is a form of cancer. My big question is can cancer cause weight loss? Because I've also lost over 30 pounds in just a few months....even with having a bad thyroid and normal blood sugar. Could there be a link there?

Thanks,
Liz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Can cancer cause weight loss?

Liz,
The answer is yes, cancer can definitely cause weight loss. In fact, unexplained weight loss (i.e., you're not on a diet) is as symptom that should never be ignored.

It sounds as if you've seen a doctor, as you mention that your thyroid is normal and you don't have diabetes. Have any other tests been done yet? You probably should have a CT, along with blood work that looks for certain cancer markers. Please don't delay. This could be nothing but a fatty tumor (which usually are not cancerous), but given the weight loss combined with the tumor, I'd say you need to take action asap.

Having said that, I also urge you not to panic. Even if it does turn out to be cancer, it might be fairly easily curable, depending on the type. I developed a strange type of cancer that I discovered when a huge lump popped up in my groin. It was already third stage, and I went through surgery, radiation, and chemo. However...I have been cancer-free for 8 1/2 years already! So don't panic, but do take the necessary steps to ensure that you get proper and immediate care, just in case it is malignant.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
(female)

Lizardwoman85 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamQKitty View Post
Liz,
The answer is yes, cancer can definitely cause weight loss. In fact, unexplained weight loss (i.e., you're not on a diet) is as symptom that should never be ignored.

It sounds as if you've seen a doctor, as you mention that your thyroid is normal and you don't have diabetes. Have any other tests been done yet? You probably should have a CT, along with blood work that looks for certain cancer markers. Please don't delay. This could be nothing but a fatty tumor (which usually are not cancerous), but given the weight loss combined with the tumor, I'd say you need to take action asap.

Having said that, I also urge you not to panic. Even if it does turn out to be cancer, it might be fairly easily curable, depending on the type. I developed a strange type of cancer that I discovered when a huge lump popped up in my groin. It was already third stage, and I went through surgery, radiation, and chemo. However...I have been cancer-free for 8 1/2 years already! So don't panic, but do take the necessary steps to ensure that you get proper and immediate care, just in case it is malignant.

Ruth
Thank you for your response Ruth! I'm hoping to do some more diagnostics this week on this. The doctor said it is a pretty solid mass behind my left kidney and is incredibly painful and seems to have developed fairly recently.

I also want to thank you so much for your reassurance. This to me does seem like it has the strong likelihood of being a type of cancer and hearing that you did so well makes me feel less worried if that should become the official diagnosis.

As far as testing I've been so sick lately I've had x-rays and abdominal CT (without contrast) that were done in the emergency room due to the uncontrollable pain and actually was hospitalized for two days to control it. It was shortly after that that my doctor told me about the mass. My doctor also has ruled out Crohn's disease and Celiac disease since they can cause weight loss as well. She had told me to come back for a recheck in a month, but the more I thought about it and with the pain I definitely want to be more proactive so I called her back and we are to discuss options this week sometime.

Thanks again for your comment and hopefully I can get some answers soon.

-Liz

Old 01-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Liz,
Don't let your doc put off further testing. It sounds like you've got a pretty good doc who listens to you, but just make sure you put a bit of pressure on her to schedule any further tests and/or consultations asap. And please, do keep me posted. I will be thinking of you and praying for you.

Ruth

Old 02-01-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz...
Have been thinking of you and wondering what's happening with you. Have you had more tests? Any more information? Please post if you can and let us know what's going on. Meanwhile, you're on my prayer list!

Ruth

Closed Thread