It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
(female)

acmatters HB User
Care required after stem cell transplant?

For the treatment of multiple myeloma, a relative has recently had a stem cell retransplantation (of her own cells). She is presently in the hospital for 2-3 weeks. After she comes home, she has been told she will need 24/7 care for 2 weeks. I have been asked to be a caregiver, and I'm wondering what type of care will be needed. Is it simply that someone has to be present? Or is there more to it? IVs? Anything like that? If anyone has any knowledge or past experience of this, I would appreciate hearing from you. I know everyone's case is different, but I'm thinking the general care required for this type of patient is going to be similar. Thanks.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
(male)

ricoj HB User
Re: Care required after stem cell transplant?

Hi, My name is Jorge. I am not sure how late my post may be in regards to your question. I have received a stem cell trasplantation in July of 2008 and I needed a lot of care but due to complications imidiatly after transplant. Because of that the doctors kept me in the hospital until things were better. That amount of time was 9 months for me. Ok after I returned home I requiered some one close by to help me daily with my meds and meals and for other things like to take me to my doctor's visits but mostly that. For medicines that are IV those were normaly done at the hospital (city of hope) but you will have to pay attention to high fevers, shills, rushes etc and call the emgergency room if that happens. Anyway, this is what I experienced in my own life so dont take it as a proffesional advice or anything like that. Send me an email if you have any question. Jorge

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
(female)

acmatters HB User
Re: Care required after stem cell transplant?

Thank you, Jorge. I'm sorry you had complications. Are you doing okay now? So do you think the care you required would have been any different if you hadn't had these complications? Am I reading this right ... you were in the hospital for 9 months following your transplant?

Closed Thread