HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Cancer (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer/)
-   -   Just diagnosed with Cancer and I'm really scared. (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer/769818-just-diagnosed-cancer-im-really-scared.html)

GreenEyes123 09-25-2010 04:45 PM

Just diagnosed with Cancer and I'm really scared.

Hello,

I'm a 32 year old woman diagnosed just diagnosed with endometrial cancer. I'm really scared and don't know what to do. I am scheduled to have a hysterectomy in a couple of weeks. Can you please give me any advice to get through this? Thanks for any advice or help.

wga 09-25-2010 05:32 PM

Re: Just diagnosed with Cancer and I'm really scared.

[QUOTE=GreenEyes123;4333922]Hello,

I'm a 32 year old woman diagnosed just diagnosed with endometrial cancer. I'm really scared and don't know what to do. I am scheduled to have a hysterectomy in a couple of weeks. Can you please give me any advice to get through this? Thanks for any advice or help.[/QUOTE]

Look always get a second opinon... what stage are you in? is it just the lining of the uterius or has it spreed?

fufu 10-12-2010 02:27 PM

I don't blame you for being scared, who wouldn't be?
Do the hysterectomy and just keep strong. Be prepared for the emotional and physical
changes your body will go through because you will hit menopause. I'm assuming you will be getting chemotherapy treatments after that? Stay positive and keep healthy, the best thing going for you right now is that you are young and you are strong enough to beat this.

Mel52 10-12-2010 08:01 PM

Hi, I didn't have cancer but I had a hysterectomy 9 weeks ago and can share that part of my experience. I went home the next day. I had little pain and only took tylenol. I also had my appendix removed. I was very tired. I am still a little tender so I don't do any heavy lifting. I already had gone through menopause so I didn't have to deal with sudden hormone changes. I have had hot flashes for 8 years now yuck.
I wish you well and hopefully everything will be fine for you.

seavegetables 10-24-2010 07:52 PM

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. It is important to know that this is the best time in history to get a diagnosis of cancer and that your life can still be long, happy and great. What helped me after hearing it is cancer was getting a second opinion. Then reading as much material in any form as possible on cancer. General cancer, living with cancer, specific cancers, diet and nutrition for cancer, holistic living with cancer, religion and cancer, basically anything I could. All that helped me, but everyone deals with the diagnosis differently. I also started seeing a naturopathic doctor in conjunction with traditional care.

dhill2020 10-24-2010 08:12 PM

green eyes123, My sister went through this at a young age also, I know its terribly scary to you naturally! But you are young & strong and medicine has come so far in treating cancers! If it is caught soon enough your chances of a full recovery is excellent! Insist on a follow-up Tx as well and keep your faith in the Lord and you will be around for a long life! Good luck, good doctors, and faith in God.:wave::angel:

aerorules 12-04-2010 07:30 AM

I had endometrial cancer also at the age of 36. I had everything taken out along with several lymph nodes. All nodes were negative and therefore did not have to go through chemo. Thank God! I am almost 3 yrs. past the surgery and doing well. I would say be aware of the major emotional and physical changes due to surgical menopause that you will experience. I really was not. It will be tough to deal with but stay strong. I don't know if you have children or not, but that was really tough for me because I do not. I was also grieving for the loss of the children I never had. Make sure you feel comfortable and confident with your doctor. You will be okay! My doctor told me that if you could pick the cancer to have that endometrial would be the one to pick because it is usually 100% curable with a hysterectomy if cause early enough. Hang in there, you will be alright!

sfcg 12-27-2010 03:45 PM

[QUOTE=GreenEyes123;4333922]Hello,

I'm a 32 year old woman diagnosed just diagnosed with endometrial cancer. I'm really scared and don't know what to do. I am scheduled to have a hysterectomy in a couple of weeks. Can you please give me any advice to get through this? Thanks for any advice or help.[/QUOTE]

Green Eyes,

I just went through this this year and am still dealing with a whole bunch of issues because of it. It's tough, and terrifying, but the best advice I can give is until you are well again, ALWAYS bring an advocate with you. Sometimes, you may be doped up, or exhausted from some procedure, and you won't be able to intelligently make decisions, so until you are back on your feet, bring a family member with you or someone you trust to help with the burden.

And keep in mind, they are MUCH better at treating cancer than they used to be. They were able to get rid of my cancer in little over six weeks. It caused some serious problems for me but nothing I can't get over.

Make sure you are approved for each and every procedure by your health insurance, and if you don't have insurance, make sure you talk to your doctors about your options.

Also, even if you aren't religious, sometimes it made me feel better just to pray. I tried my best to keep a positive attitude, and trust in my doctors, but don't be afraid to ask questions and trust your instincts. If something feels wrong, don't be afraid to look deeper into it.

Good luck!

Chris