It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
(male)

indytechguy HB User
Possible Pancreas Problem

I’ve been reading several posts on this board for weeks to try and learn more about what is going on with me. I’ve decided to finally register and post my “story” and ask some questions and to help others who find this who may have similar issues and concerns.

I had a my yearly physical back on June 14th and was a bit freaked out when the doctor called me at 7 AM a few days later to tell me my blood results came back and that my liver enzymes were elevated. He scheduled me to go see a GT. Interestingly enough, at my appointment with my GT, he informed me that my ALT was slightly elevated at 47 and nothing to worry about and that my Triglycerides were borderline high at 156. He didn’t seem concerned at all but went ahead and ordered more bood work and ultrasound of my liver and gallbladder. And of course told me to loose weight and go on a low fat diet.

The ultrasound only showed some small deposits of fattiness in the liver however I “failed” the blood test for Antinuclear Antibody (ANA). My result was 1:320 and it is supposed to be less than 1:80. So the doc ordered two more tests, Anti-mitochondrial antibody test (AMA), Anti-Smooth Muscle Antibody test (SMA). Also a hida scan on my gallblader and that was the end of all that.

The reason for the hida scan was because I kept having cramps on my right side. It had been two months since my physical and I had been running a lot and dieting since I my weight was 235 (lost close to 20 lbs as of now).

Since the hida scan on August on August 20th, 2010. The cramping on my right side is now more of a “discomfort” that sits in my upper middle abdomen (near my chest bone) and spreads over to my left upper abdomen area and sometimes down near my kidney area. Sometimes the discomfort is in my lower left or right abdomen near my belly button or back to the right side where I originally was cramping. I guess it just likes to travel. But mostly I would say it is in the upper middle/upper left abdomen now.

What is scarring me of course , from all the reading I do online, is the upper abdominal pain in the middle and left side. I don’t like to call it pain as it doesn’t limit me from doing anything at all ... I’m just aware of it. I do not no have any other “symptoms” , no blood in my stools, normal color, but not perfect I guess (which is the norm for me), no loss of appetite, nothing, just discomfort.

So I scheduled another appointment with the GT, this time seeing his nurse practitioner. Told him my symptoms and he felt around my abdomen and said he didn’t think there was anything wrong with me. But, to put my “mind at ease” he ordered a CT scan that I went to on Oct. 6th. Obviously, from all my research I know it is about impossible for a doc to feel anything out of the ordinary with your pancreas during a physical exam.

The same GT diagnosed me with IBS in my late 20’s and I get the feeling that is why they don’t seem to alarmed by any of my symptoms. However, I know, it doesn’t feel the same as when I was diagnosed with IBS. The pain (discomfort) is in different places and is nowhere near as intense when I was having issues with IBS.

I plan to call Monday to get in the queue for my test results. I will hope for the best.

Last edited by indytechguy; 10-10-2010 at 08:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
(male)

indytechguy HB User
Re: Possible Pancreas Problem

An Update. It has been a frantic few days waiting for test results. I didn't get them until today and this is after several calls to the doctor's office. The nurse on the phone told me that my results were all "un-remarkable" which is their way of saying negative. I asked about the CT scan on the pancreas, and she said unremarkable.

From my research, I realize that a CT Scan is not the end all be all of test for anything wrong with my pancreas. All I know is I have these symptoms with my upper abdominal area that seem to be inline with issues that point to the pancreas. I asked if the doctor would order blood work for me to test my pancreatic enzymes. She called back to say no the doctor wants to do an EGD on me next. Which from my understanding, this test is more for looking for ulcers in your esophagus and stomach and doesn't look at your pancreas.

Since I'm still convinced that the issues and symptoms are related to my stomach, I'm going to go see my family doctor today and I already talked to him on the phone and he will order the blood work test for my pancreatic enzymes. From what I've read, having your amylase and lipase test is the way to go to put your mind at ease. But I'm not sure if that is the blood work my family doc will order, I will find out this afternoon.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:37 AM   #3
(male)

indytechguy HB User
Re: Possible Pancreas Problem

Got the call from the family doctor this morning about my blood results. He sais that amylase was 35 (normal range is 28 - 100) and my lipase was 20 (normal range 11 - 82). He stated those normal ranges so I haven't read up, but I trust him as he always errors on the side of safety. So with those results and the CT scan results, I hope I can feel like I can eliminate any fears of my pancreas for now.

He told me to go ahead with the EGD and he also wants me to also follow up with a rheumatologist to see about Lupus because of that positive ANA result I had a few months back 1:320.

The GT has me on a prescription of dicyclomine and the family doctor gave me another prescription for my stomach specifically yesterday. I know the new prescription takes a few days to kick in, but do know not if the dicyclomine is working just yet. I do know that I have been hardly eating as I've been so frustrated and down trying to figure this out.

If this all comes back to being IBS , while a relief, just frustrating to throw so much money at your body trying to figure out what is wrong with it. But in order for the GT to keep trying to help figure me out, I have to do what they say of course. Hopefully I will find out soon what is causing these upper abdominal spasms and discomfort.

Closed Thread