It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
(male)

kozzy2010 HB User
My father has pancreatic cancer

My father was diagnosed in Aug with pancreatic cancer, the tumor is wrapped around the blood vessels and cant be removed. He is losing weight pretty rapidly and his feet and ankles are CRAZY SWOLLEN ( why is this?). does anyone know what i should expect? seems like all doctors want to do is play the optimist, but right now i need a realist. Thanks to anyone that can give some input

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
Re: My father has pancreatic cancer

Hi, I am sorry about your dad. Are they doing chemo to help shrink the tumor away from the blood vessels? The swelling may be due to ascites. I may not be spelling it correctly.
If no action is taken, then the cancer usually spreads. What stage is your dad? Most of the time this cancer is diagnosed at stage 4 which means it has spread to another organ, usually the liver.
Are the doctors behaving as optimists in front of your dad? Can you talk to the drs? There is an organization called PanCan that can provide a lot of great information and support.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #3
(female)

CuringMyself HB User

Please see a movie called The Gerson Miracle. It has some very interesting and hopeful information about cancer. I saw it on netflix. Best wishes.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
(female)

vworried HB Uservworried HB User

It depends on the stage the cancer is in, the type of cancer, and if they are able to do treatments. I know it can be very frustrating when you aren't sure what to expect. I would talk to the doctors without your dad present so you can be better prepared. Many times cancer is a long hard road for all of the family members. You may want to continue to seek support for yourself. Being a caregiver can be overwhelming at times. Take care, your in my thoughts.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #5
(female)

LucyMc HB User

Hey.. I know that I'm responding to this post late but I just signed up for the message board. My Mom was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer in August... We've been everywhere and I feel like I'm an expert at this point (although I'm surely not)... I'm sure you've gotten the answers already but the swelling in his legs could be blood clots. My mom's legs were super swollen and she had bad blood clots. They put her on arixtra and put in a filter (outpatient procedure) which really helped. Everyone keeps saying that my mom's prognosis is terrible (pancreatic cancer metastacized to the liver and lung) but she seems completely fine almost 6 months later. She gets chemo (5FU) and has been taking her pancreatic enzymes but so far so good. We go out all the time and we're all taking a vacation across the country next week so don't let internet searches get you down.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
(male)

RobbyT HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzy2010 View Post
My father was diagnosed in Aug with pancreatic cancer, the tumor is wrapped around the blood vessels and cant be removed. He is losing weight pretty rapidly and his feet and ankles are CRAZY SWOLLEN ( why is this?). does anyone know what i should expect? seems like all doctors want to do is play the optimist, but right now i need a realist. Thanks to anyone that can give some input
Hey kozzy, Most doctors will try to keep there patients family optimistic and thats a good thing, you want to show your dad that there is still hope cause that will make him feel better. My father passed away last November and it was the hardest situation I have ever faced (and am still facing) I didnt have that chance to spend the last days of his life with him because we lived on opposite sides of the world, so all I can say is do all you can to be with him as much as possible cause you never know when you will have the chance to see him again. Take care

Closed Thread