It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
(female)

dandi90 HB User
Just a question about tumor removed

I had a lump show up on the back mid thigh, about 6 months ago. In the last 2 months it grew to be about the size of a golf ball. I thought it was a cyst went to the doctor and he thought it was a cyst also untill he cut into my leg. He said it was a solid tumor and after 2 hours of trying to remove it, he showed it to me. It was whitish, grayish and hard with some give to it. I asked the Dr. if it may be a fatty growth, and no, it was nothing like anything he has seen in his office before.
He sent it to pathology and a week later they informed me they were sending it out for a second opinion. Another week still nothing but should find out something by Friday or monday.
So question has anyone been able to see their masses after they were removed? Kinda worried about this outcome. My father had soft tissue cancer in his arm, which he just brushed off as a cyst untill it had spread.
I hate playing the waiting game...
Any remarks will be greatfull.. Google isnt doing it for me anymore..lol..
Thank you

Old 11-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

amyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB User
Re: Just a question about tumor removed

Quote:
So question has anyone been able to see their masses after they were removed?
I not only saw it, I asked the doctor if I could take it home with me. Since he was 100% positive that it was only a sebaceous cyst, he put it in a sealed jar with formaldehyde. Still have after probably 15 years -- it too was also the size of a golf ball and still have the scar as a reminder.

I truly wish that you had the same outcome that I did, however; yours sounds much worse. The main reason for that remark, is the fact that your father had some type of metastatic sarcoma in his arm. I would have thought that might have caused a huge warning bell ringing in your head, but I probably would have been in denial anyway. I am guessing that you are fairly young - late teens, early 20's?

Quote:
He sent it to pathology and a week later they informed me they were sending it out for a second opinion.
Perhaps the initial biopsy was inconclusive are using cytogenetic techniques, in which biopsied cells are grown in the laboratory for about a week and examined microscopically to determine whether chromosomal changes have occurred. That may explain the delay.

Quote:
after 2 hours of trying to remove it,
You must have been given an epidural in addition to Ativan (or something similar) to be able to withstand such an evasive/extensive procedure.

You did mention that "any remarks will be greatfull", so I certainly hope that whatever I did say does not make you even more anxious. That certainly was not my intention. I just want everything to turn out o.k. for you, ya know?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
(female)

dandi90 HB User

Thank you for your input. I am actually mid thirties, I am almost certain this is nothing, but there in the back of my mind its playing around, mainly when I hear second opinon, and my doctor have never seen it before. Yes my fathers cancer makes me more nervous, but unlike him I went to the doctor. He passed away 8 years ago.
But the doctor did it in his office. When he made the first cut and noticed it wasnt what he thought, he gave me the choice of going to a surgent so that I could have better meds,more than his numbing shots and they would be able to get out more of it. I told him to go for it. It wasnt to bad. I felt bad for putting him so far behind with other patients. A few glares as I finally emerged through the waiting room.

But I am pretty positive aboout this being fine, but wanted to know others experience. Thank you

Old 11-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
(female)

dandi90 HB User

Just a quick update. Dr office called me in and let me know that I had a Granular cell tumor with atypical features, but it was involved with inked margins. So the report was not able to rule out cancer completly but are laying more on the side as not cancer. I do have to go to surgery to have a larger section of my leg removed with tissue, muscle and the rest of the tumor. He said it was a very fast growing tumor. I will be in surgery in 2 weeks. Crazy!! But I guess its all pretty good, more in my favor.

The following user gives a hug of support to dandi90:
amyd (11-18-2010)
Old 11-18-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

amyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB User

Whoo Hoo!! Sounds like it's not as dismal as first thought - although for sure not a "walk in the park". OMG, just think what would have happened if you had waited even just a little longer.
Wish you all the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!f

Closed Thread