It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
(female)

angiebert1970 HB User
Cancer detected by high CRP level?

Hello! I just got a CRP level of 13, which is very high. I am curious if anyone found out that had cancer by way of THAT only. I have no other symptoms, and am so worried about this high level. I know it can be an indicator of cancer, but I think I would have had other symptoms by now…?? If anyone discovered their cancer by that means only, I would love to hear your story.
Thank you very much!

Old 02-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Cancer detected by high CRP level?

I found this information on the internet...CRP does not, apparently, have anything at all to do with cancer.

"The CRP test is useful in assessing patients with:
Inflammatory bowel disease
Some forms of arthritis
Autoimmune diseases
Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
CRP may be used to screen apparently healthy people for the following conditions. However, in these cases, the more sensitive test hs-CRP will be ordered:

Coronary heart disease (CHD)
Cardiovascular disease
While the CRP test is not specific enough to diagnose a particular disease, it does serve as a general marker for infection and inflammation, thus alerting medical professionals that further testing and treatment may be necessary.

When is it ordered?
Because CRP increases in severe cases of inflammation, the test is ordered when acute inflammation is a risk (such as from an infection after surgery) or suspected based on patient symptoms. It is also ordered to help evaluate conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and lupus and is often repeated to determine whether treatment is effective. This is particularly useful for inflammation problems since CRP levels drop as inflammation subsides.
CRP also is used to monitor wound healing and to monitor patients who have surgical cuts (incisions), organ transplants, or burns as an early detection system for possible infections."

If your CRP is high, your doctor will probably advise you on steps to take to reduce your risk of heart disease. I'm not sure if this is true of elevated CRP, but elevated levels of homocystein, which also increases risk for heart disease, can be treated by taking folic acid.

And if the test was run to determine if you have arthritis, they may have done a sed rate as well.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
(female)

angiebert1970 HB User
Re: Cancer detected by high CRP level?

Thank you, Ruth! i think it's a fairly new thing (link to cancer is on wikipedia and other sites, *****, Oxford Journals), and it is typically colon cancer, which my grandma had, so I'm just wondering if there are any stories out there. i go wednesday for further tests, so hopefully it will eliminate anything serious!
thanks for replying!!

Closed Thread