It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
(female)

Swtrigal HB User
To worry or not to worry..

I am a 56 y.o. very active female who has been in good shape the last 20 years or so. To make a long story short, I have lost 20 lbs in 3 months without even trying..I was at a normal weight of 132 and now am 112 lbs. Now in the past I would have welcomed and even tried to "lose that last 5 lbs I put on in Menopause" But this has me a little worried..I have normal blood work and NO I do NOT have an eating disorder (seems like docs want to go directly to this-geez). I get hungry but I fill up very easily..I have not weighed this little since I was 11 years old.
Bottom line is my family is freaking out! Me not so much until a family friend who is a physician put the fear of God in me about this glaring symptom. I do not have any other symptoms except constipation (have had this to some extent last 15 years)..I have a vague pain in my lower left abdomen that has been there for years. I requested an ovarian ultrasound 3 years ago, which came back negative.
After my doctor hesitatingly referred me to a GI doc, I am now getting a CT scan of abdomen, colonoscopy, endoscopy, mammogram, and upper GI. I guess I would love any feedback here. I can barely find anything online about unintentional weight loss as being the only presenting symptom with cancer but of course this is what worries me the most. Has anyone been diagnosed after just having weight loss alone? I walk away feeling like a hyponchondriac every time I leave a doctors appt. right now!
Thanks for "listening"..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2011, 07:48 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User
Re: To worry or not to worry..

Ooooh - part of me is envious as I am one who finds it so difficult to lose weight! However I can see that you are worried by this & indeed it certainly isn't normal. I would imagine that if anything very serious was amiss it would show up in the blood tests but still I think you are very wise to be getting the CT scan plus all the other tests. Have they checked your thyroid?

I can imagine your family would be freaking out a bit! Don't ever feel you are a 'hypochondriac' just because you are asking about real concerns that you & your family have about your health! Your Doctor is there to listen, test, diagnose, treat & reassure! Let us know how you go!

Old 03-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
(female)

Swtrigal HB User

Bubblegirl-
Thank you for your support!! Yes my thyroid has been checked numerous times as well as all kinds of other blood work..so I will be really, really surprised if the scope show anything..I am right there with you-I have always been envious of people who could lose weight so quickly but now that I am that person..not so much fun....it is really a mentally confusing state to be in!

Old 03-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
(female)

Swtrigal HB User

P.S. We were in Melbourne last year at Christmas..One of my favorite places on earth!!

Closed Thread