It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
(male)

dabowler HB User
opinions on what this might be.

I have had a problem that I have never shown anyone nor told anyone about.

I have a lump/mass in my groin. In the inguinal area. It is hard and movable. By movable, I mean that I can push it back inside my abdomen. It is under the skin and quite hard.

I noticed it about 16 years ago. I am able to push it back into my abdomen and have it stay, but when I am standing for a while it will pop back out again. A few years ago it stayed inside my abdomen for about 8 months without popping out. I have days that it doesnt bother me at all, other times I cannot get it to stay inside my abdoment.

basically it became noticable one evening while trying to have a bm. I then noticed it appeared as a bulge in the fold between my thigh and abdomen. when I pushed my stomach muscles, it would appear as a painless bulge. It gradually emerged through the muscles to where it is today.

I would estimate the mass/lump to be about 2" long and 1/2" - 1" wide. it is irregular in size and shape, although its elongated. Kinda like a peanut shape, almost like a couple ping pong balls together.

I don't think it has changed in size very much since I first noticed it physically appear. A couple of years before it emerged, I noticed the area was itchy almost all the time, a kind of under the skin itchiness.

Any opinions, what is it, cancer or something else? I know I should have gone to a doctor so no need to lecture.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User
Re: opinions on what this might be.

Well it definitely needs checking out! It wouldn't be a hernia would it?

Old 03-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Fizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB User

Sounds like a hernia to me. I've had one on each side and an inguinal hernia (bowel descending into the scrotum). I'd see a doctor.

If it hasn't changed size much in 16 years, it isn't likely to be cancer.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I hope you do go see a doctor. It sounds like you are describing a hernia as others said. Sometimes they can twist, so you don't want to ignore it.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Yep, it definitely sounds like a hernia. Luckily it hasn't really bothered you, but sometimes they can become "strangulated" (that's when it gets twisted), and it is then an emergency situation.

You really should see a doctor as soon as possible. It's not necessarily an emergency, but you shouldn't keep putting it off.

Ruth

Old 04-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
(male)

dabowler HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzickle View Post
Sounds like a hernia to me. I've had one on each side and an inguinal hernia (bowel descending into the scrotum). I'd see a doctor.

If it hasn't changed size much in 16 years, it isn't likely to be cancer.
Since you have had one, maybe you can confirm this with me. My lump is hard. Part of the reason I didn't think it was a hernia is due to how hard it is. It feels like a solid mass.

Were your hernia lumps hard?

Last edited by dabowler; 04-03-2011 at 08:40 PM.

Closed Thread