It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
(male)

blong4133 HB User
Does this sound like Thoat Cancer? (Used Snuff for Approx. 4 years)

Hey everyone, I'm new to the board...I am a bit of a hypochondriac, and have been freaking out over some symptoms I've been showing recently. I'm a law student and it's really affecting my ability to focus and study for my finals, which happen to start tomorrow. I'm hoping I can get some reassurance here.

So basically, my sophmore year in undergrad, which was a little less then 4 years ago, I began using snuff. My use fluctuated over the years, some times going through a can a day, other times I would go as long as a week without a dip. I have tried to quit more than a few times, and once I made it as long as 1 month before I came back to it.

Now on to the symptoms.

Sometime around the beginning of my senior year of undergrad, I noticed by left tonsil was swollen. I put it off as a cold, and carried on as usual, and continued my snuff use. Around Christmas Break, I noticed a growth on my tonsil and began to worry, but still kept using snuff. So toward the end of my senior year, I went to see an ENT who looked in my throat (no cameras or anything, just using a mirror type thing, and told me that the growth was a papilloma on the tonsil and not to worry about it, and also told me that the bottom of my right tonsil (the one that feels swollen all the time) looked irritated, probably due to something along the lines of mild acid reflux. So I left feeling pretty good knowing that it wasn't cancer and figured that things would get better. Well they haven't.

Currently, My tonsil is still swollen. My jaw is beginning to hurt, and when I swallow, it feels as though there is a "click" or "popping" sensation when my adams apple goes up and down. For the past few days, I have noticed some pressure in my head, and especially in my right ear. I've had a headache that started on the right side of my neck, and radiated up to behind by right ear. I would periodically get a runny nose, but my nasal passages would clear and things would be fine, but the headache/neck pain stayed.

I have no pain when swollowing, and don't feel that my jaw or anything is restricted, it just hurts a little and is freaking me out.

Also, it may be pertinent to note that a few months ago, i woke up one morning and it felt as though my bite had shifted. My teeth didn't line up like they normally did. This went away in a few days and I haven't really had a problem with it since. when this occurred, I had a fair amount of pain in my jaw when trying to open my mouth.

So that's all for my rambling post. If anyone could help me out here and give me some insight it would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to get an appt. with an ENT doctor down here, but I am still on my dad's health insurance and it's a West Virginia plan. (I go to law school in Virginia) So I'm currently waiting to hear if my request for a referal to see a doctor down here will be approved. Worst case scenario, I'll have to wait about 2 weeks to see an ENT doctor.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: Does this sound like Thoat Cancer? (Used Snuff for Approx. 4 years)

It sounds like you may have a TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint) problems. Do you grind your teeth at night or clench your jaw? I would make an appointment with a dentist. They can check for TMJ and any cancer in the mouth which would be more likely with the snuff than throat cancer. However, the snuff could be causing irritation to your sinuses and throat and make any allergy symptoms worse. I know it's difficult but you really should try to quit that stuff. I wish you well.

Last edited by rudiraven; 04-19-2011 at 01:38 PM. Reason: forgot something

Old 04-19-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
(male)

blong4133 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiraven View Post
It sounds like you may have a TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint) problems. Do you grind your teeth at night or clench your jaw? I would make an appointment with a dentist. They can check for TMJ and any cancer in the mouth which would be more likely with the snuff than throat cancer. However, the snuff could be causing irritation to your sinuses and throat and make any allergy symptoms worse. I know it's difficult but you really should try to quit that stuff. I wish you well.
Thank you for your reply! I really appreciate it. I completely agree about quitting the snuff. In the past I've always tried to do it cold turkey and it ends up driving me nut (not that I get withdrawls or anything, but I put a dip in when I do certain things and as long as I can avoid those things I'm fine...When I'm in school though, it's really difficult because I usually put one in to read/study.) But I've been weening myself off of it slowly...It's esp. difficult now because my finals start tomorrow and I'm extremely stressed out, but I'm proud of myself for making a can last 2 days...(Since I've made it to law school it's probably been about a can a day)

But I got my referral as well and have an appt. with a local ENT next wednesday to get things checked out. Hopefully everything will be alright! I'm due for my regular dental exam next month so I'll have him give my mouth a look, but he's never seen anything (I go to the dentist every 6 months)

Thanks again for the reply, and giving me an excuse to not study for a few minutes

Old 04-20-2011, 07:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Glad I could be of some help and that you're working on quitting the snuff. Good luck on your exams......I'm sure you'll do fine

Old 05-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
(female)

clynn19815 HB User

Sounds like something called Eagle's syndrome. It is when you have an elongated styloid and can cause the swelling and popping. My ENT thought I had it, but I didn't. It is pretty rare and did not match any of my symptoms.

Closed Thread