It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB User
Gist

My title is slightly incorrect, the cancer is GIST, gastro intestinal strombod tumor (i may be spelling the third word wrong). Anyone with this rare sarcoma type cancer? 5000 people get it a year. My mom has it.... Been fighting it for several years with Gleevac. She has had two surgeries, one to remove the initial tumor and a second when she was off the Gleevac due to side effects, had remission for about a year and then had 3 rumors return that required surgery after the Gleevac shrunk them. Just curious about others experience w this rare cancer.... Hopefully positive. She has since tolerated the Gleevac well... But the body can grow a tolerance to this med and the next line of defense only has a 50% success rate. So if we run into that, clinical trials would be our only next step. Does anyone have luck incorporating anything see into your lifestyle...maybe something eastern like acupuncture etc that my mom can talk to her doc about.? I want to give her as many options and chances as possible. She is so strong and has a great attitude and I want to help her if I can.thanks for reading.

She has had part of her small intestine removed so diet suggestions aren't great. I just know no one who has heard of this cancer besides a few doctors, and it can be isolating and scary.

Last edited by Wendy88; 05-31-2011 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Needed to explain the abv. Of the cancer term

Old 05-31-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB User
Re: Gist

Has anyone heard of GIST or had to deal w it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread