It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
(female)

mentalcompass HB User
Worried about spep test and serum immunofixation test

Hi Everyone. I've been out-of-pocket for some time. I wanted to drop in and ask a question about labs. I'm 41 and I've had some neurological issues, at least I liken it to that: stiff muscles, twitches, rolling feeling and pops, nervous feeling. No bone pain but sore spots, tender points. I finally saw a good neurologist and he ordered a SPEP test, finding a slightly elevated level (0.3) on protien band one. He sent me today for the serum immunofixation test just to make sure there's nothing there. He said the protien band level was just barely out of range and he wanted to be sure. But, I'm scared, naturally, and having to wait a few days to hear back on this. Anyone else had experience with this? I have a disabled 6-year-old and I'm very nervous about this test. I asked the doc to explain to me today what the SPEP test meant because you Google thing and nothing positive comes up. I'm guessing I will hear back tomorrow or Thursday but you know how horrible this wait is. I had a normal CBC a few months ago, normal last year. The neurologist said my total protien was fine but just one - the band one - was slightly elevated. I have no idea what he is talking about. Can you anyone explain this to me or am I missing important information. I assume he wouldln't have send me for the Immunofixation test if there was no worry. I could use some support tonight.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
(female)

mentalcompass HB User
Re: Worried about spep test and serum immunofixation test

Also, had normal urine tests just a few months ago, EMG/Nerve conduction normal, normal MRI, big-time C-spine issues;however, with bad discks and root intrusion, narrowing of spinal cord, no other issues noted on that MRI.

I'm confused.

I did take the SEPE when I was suffering some horrific illness, not even sure how I got it but I had severe body aches, fever, night sweats, pounding headache...it all passed like a normal flu

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread