It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2011, 03:08 AM   #1
(male)

Michael949 HB UserMichael949 HB UserMichael949 HB User
Mass in Pelvis

Hi. Recently I was misdiagnosed as having an enlarged lymph node in my pelvic/groin area. I suggested to my doc that I thought I had an enlarged lymph node, and when he examined me he agreed. This is not a very good doctor who I only see because I'm on a government insurance plan. So he sent me to a hema-oncologist who specializes in lymphoma. He ordered a full body CT Scan to look for other areas of lymph node enlargement. Of course nothing showed up

Now I know it's a tumor because it's getting bigger. It's attached to the muscle and it's very hard. It's also causing me pain in my pelvis. It's about 1-2CM in diameter. My question is, wouldn't it have showed up on the CT Scan?

What is the likeliness that it's a sarcoma opposed to a just a benign growth?

Old 09-06-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: Mass in Pelvis

Hi Michael

The chances of the mass being a benign lump are much greater than it being a sarcoma. :-) Sarcoma is very rare. Much greater chance of being a fatty tumor or something along those lines.

Please see a surgeon and have it biopsied, if for nothing else but reassurance. It is always a bit scary to find a lump anywhere, but always better to check it out and know for sure what we are dealing with.

Sending good thoughts your way. Please keep us posted.

Hugs
reach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Yes, you definitely need to see a surgeon and have it biopsied. That's the only way to tell what's going on.

Ruth

Old 09-06-2011, 11:59 PM   #4
(male)

Thanks to reachout and SamQKitty for your replies!

If the mass is small like mine, do you know if they usually do a needle biopsy or do they need cut me open and take the whole thing out? Because it is attached to the muscle, I prefer they go the needle route...

Old 09-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Michael

I am really not sure, but I do believe it would be a surgical removal, probably with margins taken also. In my thinking, I would want it completely out whatever it might be. That's me and my life's experiences.

I would discuss the options with the surgeon and let his experience guide you. Do you have an appointment yet? Please keep us posted.

Hugs
reach

Old 09-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
(male)

No, I don't have an appointment yet. I'm on this government insurance plan where you have a waiting period if you want to change your primary care physician. Obviously I don't want to see the same doctor who misdiagnosed me

I probably won't be able to see my new doctor for another few weeks

Old 09-08-2011, 04:26 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi

Sigh. I am sorry about the insurance junk. Bah!

Try not to spend too much time worrying. Let us know what's happening, okay?

Best wishes
reach

Old 09-15-2012, 12:16 AM   #8
(male)

I thought I would update you guys. I have somewhat good news and somewhat bad news

I finally saw a surgeon a few weeks ago..when she examined my groin, she actually agreed with my primary care doc that it was an enlarged lymph node, not a mass. She said it felt like a little marble to her and didn't see any reason to do a biopsy, due to the reason that my body scan from a year ago didn't detect any other areas of lymphadenopathy...and she said as long as it's just a few cm in size, it's unlikely to be cancerous

Ok, the not so good news is that a few inches from the lymph node, in my upper thigh, pelvis area - I have had pain for the past few months. Keep in mind, a year ago there was no pain, just the enlarged lymph node

So the surgeon told me she wants me to do more exercising to see if it's related to not working your muscles enough, being too sedentary. I still have pain so I'm going back to her in a week and she is requesting an MRI, so they can visualize the soft tissues

I'm very nervous, thinking that there is a deep mass in my thigh/pelvis..At the same time I'm thinking that sarcoma is very rare so even if there is one, it could just be a lipoma

Last edited by Michael949; 09-15-2012 at 12:16 AM.

Closed Thread