It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
(male)

mankchester HB User
Lipoma or Liposarcoma: From a very worried young adult

I am a 20 year old male and a couple of years ago I asked my doc about a small lump (size of a pea) in my forearm and she thought it might be a calcium deposit and that there is nothing wrong with me. I have these small peas size lumps in a couple of other areas on my body as well. Recently, I found a slightly larger lump on my lower back very close to my spine (size of a penny). It is round and somewhat hard but does not cause me any pain. I went to a doctor and he said he was 99.9% sure it was a lipoma. I have been looking online since then and have officially freaked myself out seeing things about liposarcoma. I know that it is very rare but I am trying to figure out if there is any way to differentiate between a lipoma and a liposarcoma. I am getting it removed in a couple of weeks but I really want to put my worries to rest before then. I also called another doctor and he said because I have more than one lipoma, its less risky that it is liposarcoma. Is this true? In addition, I am healthy (5'10" 160 lbs). Please please please, if anyone has insight into this, let me know.

Thank you all so much,
-Mike

Old 11-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: Lipoma or Liposarcoma: From a very worried young adult

Hi Mike

It is always worrisome, frightening even, to find lumps on our bodies anywhere. I like the way your doctyor is handling this... even though he feels 99% sure it is only something minor, he is taking the precaution of removing it and I am sure will have it biopsied.

Friend, I would say to you, gently, to stay off the internet for now. :-) Everything that should be done is in the process of being done. All the right steps are being taken. While there are no guarantees, I believe your doctor is making a pretty educated guess here. While we are aware of the bumps only on our own body, he has seen hundreds of them on the bodies of many patients. He has a better perspective on this than any one of us individually can have.

Come back and post all you want. It is good to talk about what weighs on us...and for sure let us know the good outcome when you get it, okay?

In my heart and prayers
reach

Last edited by reachout; 11-04-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread